Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: "New" Cap function  (Read 2961 times)

Inviso

"New" Cap function
« on: March 10, 2015, 12:29:28 PM »
Am I going mad or is there no Cap function like described in the notes for each recent version. Currently on 2.44b, and I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Is there no cap function?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: "New" Cap function
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 02:16:52 PM »
This feature was available in the first betas of RC 2.4, but unfortunately we had to remove it, because an unsolvable problem with the mapping coordinates.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Inviso

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 09:12:19 AM »
Hmm. This makes me sad :\

Would this "unsolvable" mapping issue go away if you guys added a new uv mapping node, where one could say box map a sequence or composition made up of parts so its mapping becomes seamless? The cap could be generated before the mapping would be applied (no idea if possible) so it would be included with the new uv map. This would solve the problem of models made up of smaller chopped parts having useless mapping when tiled as well since the existing box map option doesn't take into account the multiple parts.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 01:54:23 PM »
Well, basically the problem with mapping is that must be applied before Segments are deformed (Bend, Slice, Clipping, etc.). If not, in many cases the result is not correct.
But on the other hand, capping must be applied after those deformations, because the open polygons are generated mainly by the Slice and Clipping processes.

Unfortunately, the "Cap" Max function messes up the mapping coordinates. With standard objects this problem is solved reapplying a UVW Map modifier, but we cannot do that in RailClone because the reasons described above.

Sorry if i didn't explain well the problem... these concepts are a bit tricky to describe by words. :)
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

UG2706

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 01:37:52 PM »
....few year have past. This would be an awesome function if this could be incorporated.