Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Railcloning from Railclone?  (Read 788 times)

OL5007

Railcloning from Railclone?
« on: February 14, 2020, 06:26:32 PM »
Hi all,

building a slow lift i run into a little problem. I built the lift as learned. Now i need to scatter the lift brackets along the cables. But the cables are railclone geo and i don't want to attach the brackets directly to the cable segment, so is it possible to clone the brackets automatically along these cables? Below is a picture that describes my issue:
https://www.directupload.net/file/d/5729/gdo2mqrh_jpg.htm
Thanks for some input :-)

Best,
Sascha

Dragan

Re: Railcloning from Railclone?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 10:43:44 AM »
Hi, Sascha. Can you provide the scene file and if you can please downgrade it to max2107 version.

OL5007

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 11:03:45 AM »
Hi Dragan,

thanks for your reply  :)
...and sure, pls. see file attached. Looking forward !

Best,
Sascha

Dragan

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 02:31:53 PM »
Hi Sascha.
This one can be tricky and I can tell you from the first look. It depends on how complex your final scene should be.
Do you plan to match your initial Generator to some Surface later?
Then, this could be a quite complicated setup.
You should have different Spline to drive `sl_bügel` Segment. This Spline could also be used do generate `sl_draht` Segment as well.

Since 3DSMAX is not my primary modeling software and I do not know much about Spline editing I'll try to make some initial setup.
I hope in meantime Itoo guys will jump in and as usual solve this with simplicity and elegance  :D

But main question remanin: Do you plan to match your initial Generator to some Surface later?

OL5007

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 03:34:43 PM »
Hi Dragan,
thanks a lot for your comittment :)

I follow your idea with different extra splines to drive the brackets. The problem is the setup should be really flexible in terms of using different surfaces. This answers your main question with unfortunately "yes". I have no idea to create the splines procedurally from the cables :-\ . Meaning in RC should be a node like "Generating spline from selected edge" or so 8)

If it's a huge thing i take the easy way and will attach the bracket geo to the cables geo - this looks really ok, but misses some randomness throughout and the freedom to add or subtract brackets fast.

Dragan

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 04:14:36 PM »

OL5007

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 05:12:53 PM »
Cool, that could be the solution - will dive into this week! Thanks Dragan for your effort :)

Dragan

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 08:54:28 AM »
I found the scene where Paul solved a similar situation.

OL5007

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 10:20:28 AM »
Thank you again, Dragan - i will try it  :)