Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Roofing dilemma  (Read 555 times)

FC1888

Roofing dilemma
« on: December 17, 2021, 12:41:08 PM »
Just been handed this project and there is just one thing I am looking at and wondering how I will achieve it using Railclone

While I have made extensive use of the many roofing presets in Railclone, this one has me stumped. I don't even know where to start

Any help or even a quick tip or tutorial for creating stuff like this would be very much appreciated

and yes I have downloaded the latest and greatest version, which I can't wait to give a run for it's money

Thanks in advance

JG_archviz

• JG
Re: Roofing dilemma
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 12:43:12 PM »
hmm... i think i would use forrestpack and model the roof as a surface/polygon so tiles will be applied by forrestpack onto the surface.

Dragan

FC1888

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 12:51:38 AM »
@JG_archviv

Well that's different, but not sure how that would work

@Dragan

Yeah, I've seen that tutorial, though not exactly, the kind f thing I am looking for, since it only really distorts two tiles, one for the ridge and one for the valley, where Is what I need is a way to curve the entire tiled section. I was hoping someone had already encountered such a problem and might have an example to show how they achieved it. I mean, someone else must surely have had to create a roof like this before...Have been meaning to go deeper into Railclone for some time now, but with so much work to do and a lot of other things to keep in top of these days., I simply don't have the time.... and this one truly has me stumped.

Pity you can't just give Railclone a surface and get it to distort / project the tiles onto that surface, then again perhaps you can, but if so, I have no clue how

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 09:39:26 AM »
Hi,

You can project RailClone objects onto a surface. Both generator types have a surface input for this purpose. Just wire a Surface Node to its input and pick the surface from the scene.

It's generally a good idea to make the surface larger than the clipping spline to avoid getting unwanted deformation around the perimeter.

I hope that helps,
Paul

« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 11:17:13 AM by Paul Roberts »
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

FC1888

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 10:29:35 AM »
So after all that, it turns out to be as simple. I had a feeling I'd look like an idiot, when the solution showed up, but hey, I'll accept that. Was never much of a reader, taught myself how to do so much of this stuff, mostly from your excellent tutorials and the same goes for 3DSMax and every other program in my workflow. Manuals have never been my storing point, which is probably why I never became an architect.. but ended up working for a architectural company, doing 3D visuals, which by the way, was never something I imagined I would ever be doing, since 3D was just a bit of fun back then.. Long story and I don't have the time to go through all of that....

Suffice to say, many thanks Paul, I can now tackle that project, once I've thrashed out the next 4 on the list

Have a fantastic Christmas and I look forward to learning even more, from your tutorials, in the new year

Andy

grue

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 09:09:35 PM »
amazing coincidence . i just was trying this out b/c i'm like "what is surface for?" and it's pretty cool!