Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Gap in geometry between spline ID's  (Read 5227 times)

ISG_User

Gap in geometry between spline ID's
« on: February 17, 2014, 03:17:38 PM »
H All, wondering if I can get some help on this or if I'm missing something obvious.

I've attached an image that I hope clearly shows the problem.

In building the external facade to a building, I'm using different ID channels from the spline to pick out the different geometry segments.  So, there's a standard box wall at ID4, the same depth wall at ID 7, as the window header and footer, and a window panel that sits in between the header and footer at ID 7 also.

What bothers me is the gap at the corner vertice (bezier corner), clearly visible in the screen grab.  Is there no way to close this gap, and make it run with the curve between the two different ID channels.??

Please any pointers.

Tony

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Gap in geometry between spline ID's
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 04:53:16 PM »
This happens because internally all splines are interpolated using straight segments, and in this case the tangent is different depending of the segment that each generator belongs (i've attached an explanatory screenshot).

There are two ways to fix it:

a) Increase the number of interpolation steps of the spline (Interpolation->Steps), or directly in RailClone with Curve->Steps.
b) Adjust the tangent at each side of the bezier-corner, until both generators are aligned (screenshot #2).
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

ISG_User

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 11:17:02 AM »
Thanks Carlos,  I understand the importance of subdivision here.  I suppose final holes can be corrected when the model is eventually collapsed, though it would be nice for them to run smooth from segment to segment regardless of the change in ID.

Is there any way to fix the hole that occurs at the end of a tiled segment when it reaches a corner? 

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 12:59:11 PM »
Is there any way to fix the hole that occurs at the end of a tiled segment when it reaches a corner?

Please, would you post a screenshot or a test scene ?
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software