Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: trouble with corners on boarded wall  (Read 1455 times)

EB4448

trouble with corners on boarded wall
« on: March 15, 2016, 10:39:59 PM »
hello

http://imgur.com/UHRGapl

I've been trying to create the wall with corners (orange and pink) shown in the bottom right. But after several attempts, moving pivots around, offsetting translations in X, and creating overly complex railclone objects, I can't recreate what I was able to do by hand.

a very basic example of a close attempt is in the upper right of the image (shown in blue).

Ideally, the railclone object with have two linear generators with one reversed generator. The spline path will only have straight lines and right angles and will appear in many scenes. I'm open to any alternative ideas. Maybe with a conditional or arithmetic setup? i'm also including a smaller version of the scene in question. any help at all would be appreciated!

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: trouble with corners on boarded wall
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 11:06:52 AM »
Hi,

Please see the attached file for an example of this style. The trick is to use a compose operator in the Corner input connected to too sequence operator as shown below.

The first sequence operator has a brick segment in the first input and an empty segment in the second. The second sequence operator is the same but the order is reversed. Both operators are set to Increment on Y. Because they are out offset you'll get an alternating pattern of brick and space.  Imagine in the column below that 1 = brick and 0 = gap. The alternating empty segments are used in this case to create the gaps.

1 | 0
0 | 1
1 | 0
0 | 1
1 | 0
0 | 1

You'll notice there's also an empty segment wired to the 2 input of the Compose operator. This is because when a compose operator is wired to a corner input the number of attached nodes determines how the segments are placed in relation to the corner vertex. An even number will always result in an asymmetric composition whereas an odd number will be centred. Therefore the  null segment in this case is used to create an odd number of inputs and centre the bricks on the corner. You can read more about this in the "How to Fine Tune Corners" chapter of our Next Steps with RailClone guide.

To overlap the stones as in your reference I've used left/right padding. The sizes needed for these have been extracted automatically from the size of the bricks which is why there are a few more nodes in the graph. It could be simplified by hard coding these values but by automatically extracting them you should be able to change the base geometry and the style will still work correctly.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions or if anything needs clarifying.

Many thanks!

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

EB4448

Re: trouble with corners on boarded wall
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 10:24:26 PM »
exactly what I needed! thank you so much. and the additional parameters for the size and offset make this much more useful