Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Best way for corners in hedge making  (Read 4823 times)

JS4753

Best way for corners in hedge making
« on: February 24, 2017, 01:35:03 PM »
Hey,

I am trying to create a RC-preset for aligning hedges. Now I'm wondering what would be the best way to solve the corners without the hedges being cut (because that results in too much geometry)?

With settings mode "tile" and bevel mode "none" I receive sth like the attached picture...

Is there a better way so that I wouldn't have to correct every corner manually after instancing? (instancing because of Octane)

And btw. is there to be another solution expected with Octane being able to handle RC objects properly without instancing? I'm asking here because there aren't many infos to be expected in the Octane forum...

Greetings

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Best way for corners in hedge making
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 04:41:20 PM »
Hi,

To avoid slicing hedges I would create a pre-formed 90 degree angle as well as your regular hedge segment. You can then use this in the Corner input.To prevent bending and slicing and therefore maintain instancing, follow these steps;

1 - Turn off Bend and Slice for the segments
2 - Turn on Adaptive Mode
3 - Make sure the corner geometry's pivot is set correctly so that when it is placed on a corner vertex it aligns with the rest of the hedge.
4 - Change the corner segment's X and Y Alignment to Pivot
5 - Turn off the generator's Corner > Align to Path setting.
6- Use a conditional operator set to check if the Angle is less than 180 degrees. Rotate the corner accordingly using Transform operators for the True and False inputs.

Your final style should look like this.

I've attached a sample file is case it is of use. I'm afraid Octane are responsible for the integration of RailClone and Forest Pack into their engine so we can't give you any more information about that. It's best to request that on the Octane forums.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

JS4753

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 02:21:50 PM »
Hey Paul,

thank you for your answer!

I tested your scene/file and it works nice with 90°-corners. So I'm gonna have to correct corners with degrees other than 90 manually but that's much better than placing all the hedges manually.

Greetings

CF1905

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 12:35:52 PM »
Great post, I followed it and works good but I would like to add another complexity level.

If I had 2 different corner shapes, and they don't depend on angle or position, only that sometimes I want to use A and sometimes B, how could I do that? I tried to place a conditional depending on corner type, making some corners Bezier-corner, but it doesn't work.

In example, my corner shape is like an "L" with same lenght in both sides (Type A) and then I have another "L" shape with different length sides. Sometimes I want to use A or B depending on design, I was wondering if this could be made with some conditionals depending on corner type or if the only way is to start breaking the spline and playing with ID of the segments (which would be a pain in the ass)

Many thanks!