Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Bug? Some Railclone objects move to different position.  (Read 1728 times)

DT

Bug? Some Railclone objects move to different position.
« on: June 13, 2019, 01:48:43 PM »
I tried looking for this but can't find anything. I have a lot of RC objects in my scene (30+). Some are used to place objects like desks or interior plants on corner points of splines. On most computers on our farm these are rendered correctly. But one fails to render these and all of the objects are moved to a different location in the scene. See attachments for the error. In the first you can see that the desks are outside. The next frame is correct. Both computers have max 2018 with the same update applied, same with the railclone version.

Help! (quite urgent)

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Bug? Some Railclone objects move to different position.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 04:46:29 PM »
Hi,

Sorry to hear you're facing these troubles. Please feel free to try to render the scene on the problematic node "locally" to see if the problem persists. Any additional info is welcome.

If possible, feel free to send us your scene and we'll have a look at it here. Ideally, would you mind to try to reproduce the problem with a minimal scene and send us such a scene?

Also, please do a quick test using the RailClone Tools and export all distributed geometry to instances. You can find it under Utilities - More ... - RailClone Tools. For more information about it, check our on-line reference guide. This way you can check that the problem happens during the RC object conversion or not.

Thanks in advance for any further comments on this issue you can share about it with us / our user community.

Best regards,

DT

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 10:00:32 AM »
Hi,

Sorry to hear you're facing these troubles. Please feel free to try to render the scene on the problematic node "locally" to see if the problem persists. Any additional info is welcome.

If possible, feel free to send us your scene and we'll have a look at it here. Ideally, would you mind to try to reproduce the problem with a minimal scene and send us such a scene?

Also, please do a quick test using the RailClone Tools and export all distributed geometry to instances. You can find it under Utilities - More ... - RailClone Tools. For more information about it, check our on-line reference guide. This way you can check that the problem happens during the RC object conversion or not.

Thanks in advance for any further comments on this issue you can share about it with us / our user community.

Best regards,

Well I've deleted everything in my scene except one of the railclone objects that gave me problems. (First I tried without deleting anything and this failed) I rendered it locally on the problem computer and it renders in the same position as it should (apart from the fact that he renders boxes because we have no local licenses on those computers). So that's even more of a puzzle now. The scene is too much of a hassle to send actually. I'm surprised that this is the first time anyone comes across this problem.  I have about 50 railclone objects in the scene. And about 2 of them render like this. I use a spline with corner points to place some VrayProxies.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 11:19:22 AM by VIZIOEN »

inkvisual

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 02:44:30 AM »
Hi,
Refreshing the post as we face the same issue. It's not the first project it happened to us. It's different scenarios, different raillclones but problem is the same. When scene is renderered locally on host workstation all objects render completely fine. Unfortunately when rendered distributed across network, some railclones render misaligned (offset by some random values) or render with weird artifacts. Can this be investigated, looking at the forum posts we are not the only ones with such problem.
Caching railclones doesn't help. Of course we can convert all to instances/mesh but that's not the point.
The whole idea of using railclone is to being able to preserve it in procedural mode, just like we do with scatters and all the other similar plugins, turning RC to instances mesh is not a solution.
Thanks!

Using max 2022, Corona 8.2, RC 5.2.3.
All the nodes using the same version of RC. Installation done correctly.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 02:47:57 AM by inkvisual »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 09:26:06 AM »
Hi,

Unfortunately these problems are very difficult to solve, because we have a not clear way to reproduce it.
It may happen only with a specific RC object, only in certain frames or render nodes, or completely random. As other bugs, we need to reproduce it consistently, in order to debug it.

Do you say that caching railclone doesn't help. How did you cache it exactly, using Display->'Proxy Cache' or with RailClone Tools ?

If you have not done it already, please try using Display->'Proxy Cache'->Embedded for all your RC objects, and check if problems continues. It can be enabled easily from the RailClone Lister.
That may give us some clue, about in what step the problem happens exactly.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

inkvisual

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 11:47:26 AM »
Hi,
Thanks for the prompt reply.
We have actually used the Proxy Cache as described above, however not an embedded mode but the External file instead.
Figured this might be the safest option but we can also try Embedded version too.

This is quite a simple setup, just boards on the ceiling. Thing to note though is that all the RC objects are custom made, not loaded from RC library, so surely there's not an issue with loading anything from RC library across the network.

Let me know what other details you'd like to know in order to resolve it.
Regards,
Michal

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2022, 10:27:25 AM »
Ok. Please, try using the embedded mode. If it fails, send us a simplificated scene with the problematic object, ready to be rendered.
We'll use it here, to try to reproduce the problem.

Thanks.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

inkvisual

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 04:51:10 PM »
Hi just to let you know, as long as the Railclones use embedded mode, everything renders fine across network or/and if railclone is a part of an xref scene.
They keep disappearing while being rendered if you use export proxy cache feature.

Another case when they disappear is that when any modifier sits on top of railclone i.e UVW mapping, or Cap Holes modifier.
This is very unfortunate as capping holes within RC neve works for us (threshold values too big).

Hope this is going to be fixed at some point.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2022, 11:06:55 AM »
Thanks for the information. We'll try to reproduce it, under the conditions you pointed out.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2022, 10:52:16 AM »
One more question: what rendering tool are you using ? Backburner, Corona Distributed Rendering or other ?
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software