Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Cladding to follow a curve  (Read 4463 times)

FC2603

Cladding to follow a curve
« on: November 08, 2017, 01:20:00 PM »
Is there a way to get cladding to follow a curve?

I've created the curved spline from a wall section but no matter what I try it won't follow the curve.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Cladding to follow a curve
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 01:50:16 PM »
Hi,

Bundled Cladding styles are by default using the Array 2S - Extend X/Y Size to Area feature, but by disabling it and using X / Y Spline(s) (or values for X / Y Size) instead of the Clipping Area you should get the desired result. Hope that helps.

Best regards,

FC2603

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 03:47:35 PM »
Thanks for that. After a LOT of trial and error I'm pretty much there.

One further question though: How do you offset the tiles so that they stay in their X Y splines? (If that makes sense?!) Basically I want to be able to move them along the Z axis to position seams. Whenever I try any of the offsets it shifts the entire object.

FC2603

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 03:48:45 PM »
Another question too add, hope you can help as am on a tight deadline.

I need to make the columns alternate by 33% rather than the rows. On my other areas of cladding I managed it by switching the X and Y dimensions of the tiles, then changing Facade Rotation by 90˚. With this method on the curve I've used X/Y Splines so I can't change the facade rotation.

I'd really appreciate the help. I'm going round in circles!

FC2603

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 04:01:48 PM »
Anyone? Perhaps I wasn't clear.

I need to map cladding on a curve with an AltColumn Offset of 30% (rather than Alt. Row offset).

In the attached image the left one is the curve using X/Y Splines. The right is how I need it to look (which is a flat spline). The facade won't rotate by 90˚.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 11:09:50 AM »
Hi,

A possible solution would be to place the first Segment in alternate rows resized accordantly (like for example by exporting the X Size attribute from the used Segment, calculate the new size by the Arithmetic Operator and resize by the Transform Operator) to archive the desired offset of these columns. To place it, you can use the Conditional Operator and wire it into the Sequence Operator in the Increment at Y mode. Attaching a sample scene. Hope you'll find it useful.

Best regards,

FC2603

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 12:41:42 PM »
Thanks again for getting back to me. It's just not working though. As soon as I try using the splines I need it either gives me the same result or tells me 'no size or spline on y'.

I've attached the scene to show you what I mean.

JTP Vis

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 01:06:12 PM »
Hi,

I've just taken a look at your scene, and I think the problem you are facing is that your X spline is the height of the wall... I would normally use that as the Y spline.

Basically, I would use the line that defines the length of the wall, as your X spline. I'd set up the height of the wall as your Y spline, then I'd add the clipping spline to cut out your windows and doors etc.

By using your height as your X spline, you have caused the array to work as if the rows are laid out up the building, not along the wall. What it looks like you want to create is a row of panels, aligned to the ground, then offset the next row so that the ends of the panels don't line up. Therefore  you need to set up the X spline along the length, so that the objects array along the length, then the Y spline is the height of the wall, which defines how many rows of the panels you want. Then you tell the rows to offset and you have the result you need.

I hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

Bill

FC2603

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 01:14:35 PM »
That does make sense and I thought the same thing so switched over the X and Y splines but I get the 'no size or spline on y' error. I've played around with the splines switched over but to no avail.

FC2603

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 01:37:40 PM »
Solved it. The problem was the Y spline. I think I drew it in perspective and that caused the 'no spline on y' error. I redrew it in top view and rotated it, which then gave me what I was after.

Thanks both for the help.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 01:53:33 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the provided scene. By switching the X & Y Splines and setting the Bevel Mode to None (to prevent bevel operations on "corners) you should get the desired result too. Attaching the modified scene. Hope that helps.

Best regards,

FC2603

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 02:08:24 PM »
Yep, that's spot on, thank you.

Is there a method for moving the geometry around (to put seams where I want them) whilst remaining in their X/Y Splines?

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 03:40:07 PM »
Hi,

A similar approach as shown above can be used - to drive the size of the first segment of each row. Attaching a sample scene. Hope, you'll find it useful.

Best regards,

FC2603

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 01:06:44 PM »
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.