Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Building facade help  (Read 1999 times)

BlackWoods

Building facade help
« on: August 04, 2015, 07:47:04 PM »
Hi guys, I'm new to railclone so I'd really appreciate some help with a project I'm working on, I'm trying to model a building facade that consists of 2 sized panels 1.2m x 3m and 0.6m x 3m but randomly put together this is somehow easy my problems start when I introduce a 1.2m width window, the windows appear on the corner so I tried putting it in a compose with 2 other panels but it doesnt work out sometimes it is still on the corner so when I put one of the panels on the corner it overlaps on the window I'm attaching some screen shots and a sketch of what I want to achieve along with the max 2014 file, thanks in advance.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Building facade help
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 10:28:34 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the Max files, I've taken a look and I think I have a solution that will work for this situation. In this case I am assuming that you don't want any of the panel to be sliced. If that is the case you will want to use the generator's Adaptive mode. This ensures that only whole segments are used, which are then subtly scaled to fill the available space (you can read more about this mode here).

The only catch with this mode is that it doesn't work well when randomising segments with different lengths. So to get around this I usually combine a few segments together to form units that all have the same distance on the X axis. These can then be safely randomised using adaptive mode.

I've then used the same segments in the Corner input. In this case, wire the random operator to a Compose node twice,separated by a Null segment. This lets you control the spacing on the corner to ensure the segments don't have overlapping polygons and also allows you to create mirrored versions of the segment after the corner. The final node tree looks like this:

Note that a second Randomise operator is used to create a different random segment on each side of the corner. If I had used the same random node, the segment would be the same before and after the corner.

I hope that helps, please see the attached file for this example and if you have any further question, please let me know.

Many thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

BlackWoods

Re: Building facade help
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 06:15:52 PM »
Thank you very much Paul for the fast reply, I'll try this method out.