Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Would something like this be possible in RailClone ?  (Read 1623 times)

3dvisuals.co.uk

Would something like this be possible in RailClone ?
« on: September 14, 2016, 12:21:05 PM »
I need to create a Solid Bench that is made of logs of various diameters like the attached image.

The bench will be 1300 x 550mm and 400mm High.

Could RailClone create something like this ?

Up until now I have only used the presets which come with RailClone, but feel that in the right hands, this is exactly the sort of thing it'd manage easily :)

Any ideas or pointers in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Would something like this be possible in RailClone ?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 01:10:48 PM »
Hi,

Well, as mentioned in following "how make parametric gabion wall?" tightly related post: "RailClone uses grid-like arrays so it's difficult to create a completely randomised and chaotic pattern. The usual solution is to create the illusion of randomised items by "pre-composing" them into segments of interlocking geometry.".

Optionally, it's possible to use our Forest Pack plug-in too - by using the Collisions feature (by setting the Distribution Map (for example the Full one) - Density to low numbers (to get a really dense distribution) and by enabling the Collisions feature get rid of overlapping items) as described in the "crystals population (or any other custom objects)" post. If you are using V-Ray, you might find handy a workaround and with help of the VRayDistanceTex map perform a render-time boolean (and a capping effect) in a very similar way as explained in the "How to check if segment was clipped?" post.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

3dvisuals.co.uk

Re: Would something like this be possible in RailClone ?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 01:16:31 PM »
Thanks Michal,

We have FPP and I'll take a look at your suggestions.

I really appreciate your assistance.

Thank you.