Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: RC2-> RC3 Conversion inconsistencies  (Read 1056 times)

Rokas

RC2-> RC3 Conversion inconsistencies
« on: July 21, 2017, 10:20:15 AM »
I attach simplified scene where some of my styles breaks opening in new version ;(
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 08:59:12 PM by Rokas »
Rokas

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: RC2-> RC3 Conversion inconsistencies
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 11:19:11 AM »
Hi Rokas,

The issue in this file is related to a change in RailClone 3 which fixes some illogical behaviour present in previous versions. In RailClone 3, Transform->Fixed Size is computed before applying the other transformations (such as Rotate or Scale). This is an improvement because it means you can rotate a segment, for example by 45 degrees, and then resize it using Fixed Size with no problems. In RailClone 2 this would cause the segment to skew, which is seldom desirable.

Unfortunately your style has been designed to get around this earlier limitation and now doesn't work correctly in RC 3. The fix is easy, just swap the X and Y fixed size values for the rotated part so that the sizes for each axis are set before the segment is rotated. We're looking into the best way to support your older styles without causing confusion for users who could then experience two different ways of fixed size being calculated.

Thanks for understanding,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Rokas

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 12:58:21 PM »
I understand and I will redo my misbehaving styles, but until then, I cant install RC3 on my main PC.
I also wanted to make it visible for other users which might later encounter their older styles misbehaving.
Rokas

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 04:40:27 PM »
Thanks for reporting it Rokas - it's very helpful feedback, and as you say it's helpful for other users to be aware of these changes too. We've created a new page in the documentation to help users to update their styles for RailClone 3. You can see it here and we'll update it if other inconsistencies should arise.

https://docs.itoosoft.com/display/RAILCLONE/Converting+RailClone+2+styles+for+RailClone+3

Thanks again,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Rokas

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 04:47:39 PM »
Thank You. I see so much more power in RC3. Some styles I abandoned as too difficult/imposible to make, now should be reconsidered.
Can't wait to have some quality time investigating all the details of RC3.
Rokas

Rokas

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 08:41:25 PM »
when converting
Expressions with| "<=" and ">=" from v2:
Code: [Select]
if(Input1<=1,1,2)to v3
Code: [Select]
return if(Input1<==1,1,2);
it errors because of too much "="
Rokas