Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Missing antialiasing in RC Geometry Masks  (Read 1383 times)

NP2889

Missing antialiasing in RC Geometry Masks
« on: November 13, 2015, 11:59:43 AM »
Hi,

we would like to you RC in a larger scale but realised that the masks are missing a soft antialiasing when
rendered with MultiSubObjekt Mats. ,Material IDs and the psd-manager for creating the final psd include the masks of the Mat IDs.

This specially happens with RC and in no other situation. Do you have an idea what the problem could be and how we could fix it?
Of course we can get them later via RenderMask MultiMatte and may have a different result but our workflow includes the psd manager,
and we couldn´t really figure out why that antialiasing is cut away.

Best regards.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Missing antialiasing in RC Geometry Masks
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 01:24:53 PM »
Hi,

This is a limitation caused by the fact that RailClone is a seen by the G-Buffer as a single object. According to Cebas:

The 3dsmax G-Buffer does not support antialiasing among Material-IDs on the same object. This may cause jagged edges on the produced layers/channels if objects use multiple materials with different Material-IDs.

There are 2 workarounds:
  • Split the object into multiple objects if possible, so that each object only has a single Material ID
  • use a render element instead (like Matte, or MultiMatte if it is V-Ray)

You can see the same antialiasing problem if a standard mesh has two materials applied - for example this box has a different material inset onto the front face.

You can see the aliasing in that area is disabled too.

You could therefore use a Render Element as suggested by Cebas, or as an alternative you can convert a RailClone object to standard Max instances using RailClone tools.

I hope that helps, please let me know if I can help further with this.

Many thanks!

Paul
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 02:18:18 PM by Paul Roberts »
Paul Roberts
iToo Software