Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Compose behavior  (Read 3512 times)

Dragan

Compose behavior
« on: May 02, 2018, 03:44:33 PM »
Hi,
is this normal behavior of Compose operator when set to Group (switching order will change position to)?

Best Regards

Dragan

Re: Compose behavior
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 03:44:58 PM »
file:

Rokas

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 04:07:06 PM »
In Group mode, the first segment determines

Mode :
    Sequence uses the default behavior, Segments are placed one after another in order.
    Grouped uses the first Segment as the main, which defines the composed geometry's size and placement in the Generator sequence. Other segments are placed stacked in same position, according to their alignment settings.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 04:29:29 PM by Rokas »
Rokas

Dragan

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 08:11:52 AM »
Hm...  :(  I still don`t get it...  I thought the group will allow `free` position of the Segments in the space.

Rokas

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 09:57:26 AM »
Hm...  :(  I still don`t get it...  I thought the group will allow `free` position of the Segments in the space.
I would suggest to review documentation
Rokas

Dragan

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 11:14:24 AM »
In Group mode, the first segment determines

..... which defines the composed geometry's size and placement in the Generator sequence. Other segments are placed stacked in same position, according to their alignment settings.

Still not clear on this :) and I don`t have computer to test something... but let me ask...

If first segment define size and placement, can I set the Null segment and set size for  virtual cage and then move other segments inside those limits with predictable results? .... or I`m  on the wrong path from beginning.

Rokas

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 01:38:03 PM »
Illustration of empty segment effect:

Tell us what You want to create and maybe we will come up with solution
Rokas

Dragan

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 02:52:26 PM »
Thank you for effort..
I do not creating anything special, just trying to completely  understand how compose works.
I`m looking on Compose like on Max Group setup but seams there is a lot difference. :)

Still confused why order in Compose  operator(when set as Group) mess up positions of Segment.   :o :o :o >:(

In this example I try to place two railing for glass panel. Top Railing will be driven by Height Parameter. So I put the Mirror Z and set Z move. I assume that both Railing will be in wanted place. That was not the case. I just try to swap order in Compose and both Segment was ok. Than I realize that Compose is not working as I think. :)

Eventually, I did both railing with with separate Generator but Compose Oprator remain pain in the %$%^$ :D

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 09:56:54 PM »
Still confused why order in Compose  operator(when set as Group) mess up positions of Segment.   :o :o :o >:(

Hi, i should explain (from the developer side), why Compose works in this way:

In RailClone all segments are placed sequentially, so to the position of each segment depends of the size (width) of its predecessors.
Since the Compose operator places all segments in a same position (stacked), it's necessary to define in some way what is the "master" segment , which defines the size of the group.

Initially, we included a selector with two options: take the width of the first segment, or the largest one.
But in our tests, this option was barely useful and a bit confuse, and we decided to remove it.

For this reason, the fist segment is used as master, and the order in a Compose is significative.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Dragan

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 05:56:42 AM »
Ok, Thank you both..
I set the Null segment with X size larger then other Segments as First in the stack. Now I can move all other segment with Translator option. It should work for some cases.

Best regards