Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Intersecting corners  (Read 858 times)

dejan

Intersecting corners
« on: July 21, 2021, 02:48:27 PM »
Hi, this is probably a noob question cause I just started learning RC and I tried searching already...

Anyway, I'm trying to create a simple glass railing from the objects in image 1.

Object 1 is my start and end.
Object 2 is my default.
Object 3 (one single object with two end elements with its pivot in the middle) is my corner and evenly segment. Evenly because I want a gap between glass segments every x meters.

Now, my corner object works well on straight lines but at 90 degree corners the segments intersect (image 3). How can I make them behave like in image 4? I guess this is the same as how you would make a brick wall behave at corners.

Thank you!

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Intersecting corners
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 03:43:37 PM »
Hi!

Please take a look at the attached file. It uses a couple of techniques that you'll find helpful as you progress with RailClone. First of all, instead of a Corner segment that already includes the start and end of the glass. These are created in the RailCLone graph by mirroring and combining just the Start geometry using a Compose operator. You'll find in many circumstances that this gives you a lot more flexibility. Secondly, you'll see segments in the graph called NULL. These are normal segment nodes, but I haven't picked any geometry for them. When used like this they can add gaps to the array using their padding or Fixed Size parameters.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any questions,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

dejan

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 05:43:48 PM »
Hi Paul!

Thank you so much, that was very helpfull!

But now I have encountered a new problem. When I recreate your RC graph I have to make the start segment not bendable, otherwise it tries to follow the path. This works perfectly on a straight path, but if the path is climbing up on the Z axis it breaks. Also, both bendable and non-bendable options create a little jump near the corner. I have now attached my max file as well.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 06:25:36 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. Please take a look at the attached. Hopefully it'll work for you. Here's what I've changed:
  • Added a Condition node to the corner that chooses the Evenly Compose operator if the angle is greater than 90 degrees. This will center it properly on the spline and remove the weird step.
  • Disabled bend for the first segment only, since this one is in theory always before the corner spline, it doesn't need to deform.
  • Enabled Vertical Bend mode for the other segments.

This is an interesting case that I'm thinking might be worth a little tutorial.

Cheers,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

dejan

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 12:11:41 PM »
Yep, that solved everything.
For some reason my corner jumps from one state to another when I edit the spline, but it's fine, I can deal with that...