Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Shelves in scale mode  (Read 1236 times)

Bruno NM

Shelves in scale mode
« on: December 13, 2016, 02:19:07 PM »
Hi everyone,

I just create a shelve, i streched a plank along the spline in scale mode, but the problem is corners planks are too much deformed, so i would like to divide this in 3 parts, start/default/end so i can stretch only the middle segement and my start and end segments will remain clean.

If someone know a solution ? I will be glad to heard it :D

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Shelves in scale mode
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 03:42:17 PM »
Hi,

An option would be to use the Tile mode instead and drive the X Size of the main Segment by the Arithmetic Operator with the "XSplineLength-(2*Input1)" expression (resting Start&End size from the total spline length). Attaching a modified scene. Hope you'll find it useful.

Best regards,

Bruno NM

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 12:12:01 PM »
Many thanks for your answer !

I looked the style, but corners are still not good, i hope is not only on my screen. I use RC 2.7.4.
Corners look crushed, and my render look like a segment where i flipped normal incorrecty...

Hope you find a solution for this.

Best regards

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 12:33:01 PM »
Hi,

It looks like, Smoothing Groups are set in a different way for "Planche02_start" & "Planche02_default" objects. Clear All function under Polygon Smoothing Groups tab of these Editable Poly object should help.

Also, it's possible to enable the Style - Vertex Weld feature, but having Smoothing Groups set correspondingly, it shouldn't be necessary.

Best regadrs,

Bruno NM

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 08:56:13 AM »
Yes now edges look clean, but my corners still look like they are compressed.. If i had a X Fixed size to the Planche02_start, i can now play with the value to avoid the bad corner, but in others side the corner on Z axis have the same issue. I have to play with the Z Size value i set, but it's to much work for adjusting, for at the end don't have the original shape. So maybe i have to look for divide the start in 3 parts, and drive the middle segment size by arthmetic node. I'm not really sure i say right now, i need to test for see..

Many thanks

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 12:40:23 PM »
Hi,

Although a certain amount of distortion of chamfered edges is inevitable with a scale operation, in this case the problem is exacerbated because the shelf geometry is aligned to the wrong axis. To fix it, rotate the shelf units so that they look like the image below in relation to world space and reset the XForms.

This is because the array is built on the XY axis, even if it is rotated. So the segment's should align with this plane too. I've attached an amended file.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Bruno NM

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 10:28:02 AM »
Oh that was this ! So just for recap, everytime i create an object, align correctly, unsure they are not polygon smoothing group, and reset XForm ? Why you put a smooth modifier on the top of the stack ? I don't notice different behaviors when i rendered with this modifier and without, but in the viewport we see faces changing...
So using reset XForm is for reset world coordinates scale and transform values from an object ? If you know threads which concern this, i'll be glad to read it !

Many many thanks for your help !

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 03:47:05 PM »
HI,

For a more in depth discussion about pivot orientation I recommend reading Rule 8 on this page: http://docs.itoosoft.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=19726520

It talks about how to correctly orientate your objects for RailClone. Rule 11 also talks a little about using Reset XForms.

As you mentioned I just applied the Smooth operator to help the soothing groups look correct in the viewports. If it was fine in the render I wouldn't worry about it.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software