Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Control "width-clipping" by numeric input?  (Read 1527 times)

suppenhuhn

Control "width-clipping" by numeric input?
« on: June 20, 2015, 11:14:58 AM »
Hi,

i'm trying to do a RC object with a simple box ( height 3cm, width/length 100cm ) - pivot in the center. This box is the default segment of a RC object wich creates a kind of a flat board with a width of 1m.

Is it possible to make an numeric input to control "sideways-clipping" to make it smaller to a specific value i.e 0.5m ?

Thanks for any tip.
Robert
iToo has probably the best support & community i know !!

I'm using it with Max 2019 & Vray 6

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Control "width-clipping" by numeric input?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 12:28:31 PM »
Hi, initially there is not any option to clip a segment, because this operation is not efficient for the instancing engine (each board should be generated as a different geometry).

Instead, it's possible to resize it using a Transform operator, enabling "Fixed Size" and exporting the X or Y size parameter. To avoid that the scale operation deforms the UV mapping, use Segment->Deform->Mapping, which generates a continuous mapping along the RC object, regardless of the scale changes.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

suppenhuhn

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 02:24:16 PM »
Thank you very much, that's more than enough :-)  The mapping is still scaled when changeing the width ( maybe because the mapping happens "before" the segment-transform ? ) -> but it's not that big problem because the width variations are very small.

But by the way:

Is it possible to use more then one object as the default segment? I.e a the edge of a roof, there are more "default" elements along the gable ( Boards, Edgetiles etc. ) - and would be perfect to have control of each "default" element and it's translation / transform. In this Case the width of the Boards and the Edgetiles on the along the boards edge.

Now i'm using a RC Object for each Element.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 02:44:34 PM by suppenhuhn »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 09:53:50 AM »
Hi,

Regarding the mapping, what render engine do you use? Segment->Mapping and UVW XForm are available only in V-Ray when instancing is enabled.
For other renderers, try turning off Display->Use Instancing engine.

There is no need to have multiple RailClone objects for these purposes as you can take advantage of having multiple Generators inside of the same style (and these can be in your case linked to the same spline).

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

suppenhuhn

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 11:04:03 AM »
Great!!

Both hints are very very useful to me !!! I'm using mental ray -> turning off the instancine engine works fine!
The multiple generators are exactly what i was looking for.

thanks a lot + greetings
robert