Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Corners with different ID  (Read 494 times)

BV6856

Corners with different ID
« on: March 08, 2023, 01:41:38 PM »
Hi guys. I tried to find a solution on the forum, but unfortunately without success.
There is most likely some very simple solution, but I'm still just a beginner at railclone.
My goal is to build walls that can vary in thickness depending on the ID. I managed to do this, but there is a problem in the corners when different sides have different wall thicknesses. In some cases (corner 3 in the picture) it helps to set BC offset to 100%, but in other cases it does not work, which is reasonable.
Maybe there is an idea how to build this correctly?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Corners with different ID
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 03:47:29 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the question. There's not actually a way to bevel corners of different widths at the moment without the effects shown in your screen capture. Instead, I would recommend letting the segments but up against one another like this:

To do that I'm controlling two padding values. The right padding of a Transform node wired to the Corner input. This pushes the first segment in a row along to account for the width of the previous wall.

To do this we take the Y Size from the Selector operator, divide it in half, and wire it to the Right Padding input.

The second padding value is the wall itself. This one is a negative value that extends the segment slightly past the corner to account for the width of the next wall.

To do this we'll export the width of both segments and wire them to an Arithmetic node. You can then use this expression:

return if(XSplineNextMatID ==2, -Input2/2, -Input1/2);

Basicallly it picks the size based on the material ID of the next section of the spline. Once again we divide it by two and this time negate the value to extend the geometry past the corner.

A sample file is attached.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers!

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

BV6856

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 08:47:04 PM »
Thank you very much for your reply.
Yes, it does work in such cases, and I was thinking about the paddings.
But in my case, I think it unfortunately won't work.
The main goal is to create some kind of apartment generator.
I have an apartment plan ( picture 1) and I decided to create walls with different depths, using a spline ID (like the places with orange highlighting in picture 2).
I think I can use 2 different RCs for the outside and inside walls. Here I am using the bottom alignment on the Y-axis. And the number of IDs can be more than 2.
And I want to create some kind of universal generator with the addition of doors and windows by RC markers.
Maybe this is not the right way at all  :(

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 11:48:49 AM »
Please take a look at the attached, it should work a little better for your example. It includes 3 wall thicknesses, but you should be able to include any number just by wiring them into both Selector nodes (in the same order).

I hope it helps,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

BV6856

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 09:39:56 AM »
Hi Paul!
Thank you so much! That seems to be exactly what I need.
There is only one point, I don't understand why you add this sequence (highlighting in the picture)? In some cases (I cahenged IDs) it adds unnecessary geometry. If I turn it off everithing works good, as I see.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 11:24:47 AM »
In that last case it is because the inset section of wall is too small to contain a default segment (they are overlapping) In that case I'd keep the spline straight and use a different section of wall that has the inset built-in instead.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software