Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Creating mullions for windows  (Read 1485 times)

Crayox

Creating mullions for windows
« on: May 24, 2021, 11:39:01 AM »
Hi guys,
I created my own window generator based on the tutorial and use "extend x/y size to area" so that windows are automatically placed on all rects of a house. Windows automatically scale so that window holes that are bigger than 1m auto subdivide to 2 windows etc.

Now I want to add a simple mullion generator. I created a new generator because I don't care if mullions overlap the window edges or each other at x/y axes. I plugged my mullion object to x and y evenly. Y are of course ok with count but should I use count or distance for x? Like should I write a simple code to get some distance to know how many windows are in each hole so that it places my mullions in correct place? Not sure how to do that.

These are unusually large window holes for test.

Thanks in advance!

Rokas

Re: Creating mullions for windows
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 11:48:00 AM »
Hi.

Where do You want them?
These generators use Distance 100. Why not using the same in Your new generator ?
Rokas

Crayox

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 12:19:46 PM »
Horizontal ones are ok, I can use distance too I guess, instead of count so that full size windows get more mullions, and windows with the parapet get less. But vertical ones I want centered to each window - whether it's a window hole with one, two, three windows...etc. Do you know what I mean?

Since creating a window itself is a bit complicated (and working now) I thought I would have an another generator for mullions. And mullions are optional too...only if a building will have classical windows.

Rokas

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 02:57:02 PM »
I am not sure where is their expected location?
Rokas

Crayox

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 03:06:57 PM »
Maybe I'm using the wrong translation. So I made windows to have the (red) parts which are normal windows subdivisions - literally have one or more windows. But now I want to add an option to have a classical window look - like those old windows that have small subdivisions on their glass (green parts). So horizontal ones are pretty straight forward, but vertical ones should divide each window, so they should be in the middle of each window.

Rokas

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 09:14:13 AM »
Thanks for clarification.

Easiest is to set vertical mullions to distance = 50. You would have too many of them bat they would be hidden in the frame.
If You want to not generate them in the first place- some tricky modification is needed.

Main part is to use "SubEvenly" macro. Attached example for Your reference.

Let us know if You need any further help.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 01:03:19 PM by Rokas »
Rokas

Crayox

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 02:11:50 PM »
Thanks! That's pretty much it. Trying to understand sub-evenly since I'm not sure what every other thing does. First input sub-evenly is the object itself, post is the empty space and scaled is the size of that space? I mean you are getting the size of the mullion in that transform and then applying that size to the empty space?

Just an idea - is there a way to use the size of my windows and use that to subdivide that area so I can control how many verticals each window has? Since changing the railing spacing in sub-evenly gives undesired results. I mean I'll probably only have 1 vertical for each window, so just wondering how this would go.

Dragan

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 02:29:47 PM »
Hi
I have played on this topic during the RC4 Beta test.
You can check the All-In-One Window Frame macro (it is filled with parameters so it is slow but working):
https://gumroad.com/dragan_prodanic
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 02:31:37 PM by Dragan »

Crayox

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 08:14:16 AM »
Thanks will check it out!

Crayox

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 01:10:41 PM »
Hi guys,
how would add a curtain to this style of windows creator? I want to have one simple curtain which can be streched vertically to fit the windows. This is for exteriors so I don't care if it goes to the ceiling or not. When I added a new A2S generator and plugged my curtain in X evenly I couldn't get it to stretch. Tried dividing it to top/middle/bottom and plugging in Start Top, Bottom, etc. but didn't get the result I wanted.
Is there a simple way of just adding an object such as this?
Thx

Rokas

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 08:35:40 AM »
Hi guys,
how would add a curtain to this style of windows creator? I want to have one simple curtain which can be streched vertically to fit the windows. This is for exteriors so I don't care if it goes to the ceiling or not. When I added a new A2S generator and plugged my curtain in X evenly I couldn't get it to stretch. Tried dividing it to top/middle/bottom and plugging in Start Top, Bottom, etc. but didn't get the result I wanted.
Is there a simple way of just adding an object such as this?
Thx

May You please attach Your file so we can check it?

Here is an option how this can be done:
Rokas

Crayox

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 09:39:58 AM »
How it always work for you :)
Ok so I did what you did but it's not showing up. But when I plug it in x evenyl instead of start/end I see them. But only on one set of windows, not on the perpendicular ones.
Also, shouldn't that expression get the ySplineLength of the Clipping area object, and not the curtains? Or am I reading it wrong?
Here's my file.
Thx!

Rokas

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 11:20:32 AM »
Few notes

• Curtain should lay flat on top viewport, align pivot to bottom
  • Generators Clipping area, for No-Slice chose Preserve
  • Transform3 Enable override]
  • Generators Auto align set to Spline

Adjust as necessary further

Hope this helps.
Rokas

Crayox

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2021, 01:26:10 PM »
Perfect! Thanks so much for your help! Can you just please explain why is Curtain.ySplineLength? My (obviously wrong) understaing would be I would have to get y spline length of the spline that is being used to generate everything, so Rectangle005 in my case. This feels as though we are using the size of the original Curtain model which is shorter than the window.

Also is there a name if I want to get values of the "main spline" that is used for the generator? Obviously it'll be a different object name in each scene so I guess there must be some way of referring to it.

Rokas

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2021, 01:52:19 PM »
Absolutely, sorry I missed this in previous posts.
"Curtain" is not objects name in the scene. It is generators name in RC. This is the syntax how we ask generators Y size when Clipping spline is used
Rokas