Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Simple(?) Array help  (Read 467 times)

FC2603

Simple(?) Array help
« on: February 18, 2022, 12:02:39 PM »
I have been given a large warehouse building model that I've adapted and split into 9 parts - 4 corners, 4 edges and the default one replicated in the centre.

I've also been given a selection of building footprints where these parts will be replicated. The first problem is that the footprints don't correspond to just adding more segments in so I just want to get as close as possible to the footprints whilst keeping each segment the correct size. What I'd like to be able to do is have the four corners fixed, and then control the number of segments along the edges and middle.

So far I've managed to get everything to replicate but am getting an overlap on the top edge which I can't seem to correct with the alignment options.

Feel like I'm missing something simple so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can't attach the max file due to copyright issues but have sent an email with a download link to helpdesk@itoosoft.com.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Simple(?) Array help
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 03:37:44 PM »
Hello Andy,

I've replied to you by email with an amended version of your file.  I see that you had used Count mode for the X-axis so I assume you want the same for Y. There isn't a built-in count mode for the Y-axis, but we can create one by taking the Y size of the array, deducting the size of the top and bottom rows, and then dividing the results by your count number. If we take that result and wire it to the Y Size of the default, start and end segments we get a Count mode on Y.

Hope that helps,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

FC2603

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 11:29:38 AM »
Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for that. I've been through and set it up from scratch using yours as a guide and have got my head around how you made it work so that's very useful.

There's one more thing thing that I'm trying to achieve though. On the back side of the building there is a void which will be filled with 4m wide lorry bays. I have the geometry for it and was planning to add a spline once I know the entire width of the void and add a second generator for it. In the model you've helped with what I'd like is to use count to choose the number of middle segments but keep them at a fixed x size, which may mean that the entire length doesn't reach the end of the spline or goes beyond. That way the lorry bays will fit without being stretched. Is this possible? I've tried using a transform operator with an X Fixed Size but the count seems to override and rescales the segment to fit. I was planning the same strategy on the Y length but I think your way works nicely on that length.

One other question: Can you snap to the geometry created in an RC object? It only seems to snap to the corners or the object as a whole when trying to create this spline for the lorry bays.

Thanks again for your help.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 10:13:41 AM »
Hi,

If you want all the segments to be used without any scaling or slicing then I wonder if it would be better to avoid using splines. Instead, I would propose just using the count parameters to set the size of the array. It's also quite easy then to add the lorry bays without the need to draw an additional spline. I'm sending you a revised file that uses this approach in case it's helpful. A couple of notes on the file

- The size is calculated by adding the sizes of the start and end or top and bottom to the size of the default segment multiplied by the count value.
- Style > Free Object is enabled so that you can just move the whole warehouse using the RC objects coordinates to define the bottom left-hand corner. You can rotate it to any angle too
- The lorry bays are moved into position using the Generator's Y Offset property. To do this I've wired it the size of the A2S array, but added a Constant so you can tweak the placement on the Y-Axis.
- To offset the start and end of the lorry bays I've used the L1S generator's Limits > Padding > Start and End properties.

I hope that helps,

Paul
-
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

FC2603

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 02:55:11 PM »
That's great. Thanks Paul. I can now mix and match which type to go with depending on the size of the footprint.

One minor thing: The start and end of the bays seem to have a small overlap. The opening on that particular one is 500m so with the bays at 4m wide should fit precisely. Also think in terms of the Y Offset in the original model they sat flush to the rest of the building but again, very minor point.

FC2603

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 03:01:45 PM »
Also, with the snapping thing I mentioned, is it possible? I can't find any way to snap to the geometry created by RC without converting the whole model to an editable poly.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 03:05:10 PM »
Hi,

Snapping doesn't work in Quick Mesh mode due to the viewport instancing technique used. If necessary you can temporarily switch it to Mesh mode - though you might need to increase or remove the display limits.

Regarding the other little things. I just eyeballed a few values to get things to snap together, but hopefully it's fairly straightforward to tweak the values I used in the graph to get them to fit together perfectly.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software