Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Different spacing then evenly  (Read 3306 times)

JQ4668

Different spacing then evenly
« on: May 22, 2015, 09:59:17 AM »
Hi!

I'm trying to do a roof for a tunnel. I want to make some panels/slags that have a different spacing then evenly. I would like to make the distance between each panel grow larger and larger the further you go.
It would be really cool if you could do this both with an exponetially and a "custom" spacing.

I've attached a picture where you can se what i'm talking about. Just in case i didn't explain it correctly.

Thanks in advance!

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Different spacing then evenly
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 11:14:43 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for contacting us with this question. Although the evenly segments are at fixed intervals you may find it is possible to achieve something similar using the Compose or Sequence operators in conjunction with the arithmetic operator attached to either a segments padding to create spaces, or X Size parameter if you want to scale panels.

In the top example we have a exponential spacing created y multiplying the current segment count by a distance : SegmentXCounter*Input1
The bottom example is an example of using a Sin function to create the spacing. This expression uses the segments position on the spline, measured from 0 at the start to 1 at the end, to create the spacing: sin(XSplinePosition*180)*Input1

In both cases the graph is the same, with an arithmetic operator used to control the size of the panel segment, just change the expression in the Arithmetic node to get different effects.

You may also find this post helpful as it goes over some of the variables built into the RC expressions editor.

I've attached a file for you to take a look at, please let me know if you have any questions.

Many thanks,

Paul
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 11:26:20 AM by Paul Roberts »
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

JQ4668

Re: Different spacing then evenly
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 11:48:32 AM »
Well this is just great!

I feel really stupid that i didn't think of it :-[ I was so hung up on piping the artihmetic node into the evenly slot. That i didn't even consider doing a compose -> default

Thanks alot! now i just need to fiddle with the functions to get something that looks decent.

Thanks so much!