Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Expand with clipping splines  (Read 1881 times)

iToo_Butler

• DJS CGI
Expand with clipping splines
« on: October 19, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
Hello!

Is there a way to maintain clipping using the expand percentage? I have a clipping path which has lots of splines (attached together) but when i increase the expand percentage, it appears that they encroach on each other making the clipping obsolete and the tiles overlap each other.

Here is an example of my problem. I have used the herringbome bricks that you attached to a previous post.

I hope there is a simpler way around this than detaching each spline and having a seperate flow for each. I wonder if having two flows and detaching every other spline will work....... If I can do it it one flow then great!

Many thanks
Cheers,

iToo_Butler.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Expand with clipping splines
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 06:28:10 PM »
Hi,

Unfortunately this is a limitation of the Expand function. Internally each separate closed spline is creating its own array so if the expand value is too large segments can encroach on adjacent areas.

One solution is to turn off Extend X/Y Size to Area and instead create an array using the X/Y Size parameters that's large enough to cover the entire clipping spline.

In this way you are only creating one array so the overlapping issue disappears. Alternatively, as you suggest, you could try separating the splines so that those that are close together use separate RailClone objects - you'd probably only need a couple.

I hope that helps,

Many thanks!

Paul.
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

iToo_Butler

• DJS CGI
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 09:35:15 AM »
Thanks Paul,

My X and Y splines don't seem to work, is it because my surface isn't flat? It slopes upwards and appears to cut the array at a certain point.

Cracking presentation at SOA by the way, nice to see something a little different from behind the scenes!

Edit that, I didn't do it properly, I created an X and Y Spline. Not change the size as you suggested! It's too early for Railclone!

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:02:05 AM by iToo_Butler »
Cheers,

iToo_Butler.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 09:55:48 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the kind words, you're making me blush :)

Would you be able to send me the sample file? You can email it support@itoosoft.com if you prefer not to upload it here.  I'll take a look and see what's going on.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

iToo_Butler

• DJS CGI
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 10:58:50 AM »
I had used X and Y splines instead of increasing the X and Y size so that previous problem is no longer. I will package it up and send it over as there is a new problem. Some of the bricks along the edges of the surface are falling down to 0 in the Z instead of sitting on the surface.

Regarding the extend problem too, with my own array using smaller bricks the extend problems is also reduced so it depends on the size of the objects being arrayed as to how much they encroach other clipping splines. I appreciate you know that, but someone else might find that a useful hing to know if they read this.

Keep an eye out for the maxfile.

Cheers,

Cheers,

iToo_Butler.

iToo_Butler

• DJS CGI
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 03:35:15 PM »
Hi Paul,

Here's the maxfile https://www.dropbox.com/s/eajmydwi0s5l3q3/Pavement%20Railclone.zip?dl=0 for you to peruse. If anyone else wants it feel free to pillage it for your own purposes, it's a herringbone brick with 6 materials (maps not included) on a surface.

Could you take a look at the following problem, for me where some of the bricks aren't gluing to the surface, but are remaining at 0 on the z axis. Cheers. I assume to fix I need a surface that is bigger than the clipping splines. Unfortunately this surface was created in a way where I didn't have this option. I could recreate it but don't really want to so I'm hoping there is something that can be changed in the RC to move them up to the surface.

Cheers.
Cheers,

iToo_Butler.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 04:09:30 PM »
Hi!

Thanks for the file - Unfortunately you are correct that the surface should be slightly larger than the clipping spline. At the moment this is a known limitation that we will try to resolve in future versions. Until then we've had some success with using Raccoon Artwork's extend borders script to quickly enlarge surfaces.

Attached is a version of your scene with enlarged surfaces using the script.

I hope that helps.

Cheers!

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

iToo_Butler

• DJS CGI
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 05:20:34 PM »
I've tried to download the maxfile but it's failing. I downloaded the script to try myself  though.

Maybe it's my machine but I wondered if you can upload again please Paul. Or email it to me....can you access my email from my profile?

Sorry for the inconvenience.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 05:32:55 PM by iToo_Butler »
Cheers,

iToo_Butler.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 06:12:36 PM »
Hi,

I've just emailed you the files but I'll upload them here too in case other people have problems. The others may have been in 2016 format so here they are in a Max 2013 file.  I hope they're OK, if you need a different version please let me know.

Many thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software