Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: UVW Mapping is wrong after instantiating  (Read 612 times)

OU9561

UVW Mapping is wrong after instantiating
« on: April 08, 2022, 05:59:12 PM »
Hello everyone!
I'm using box mapping UVW XForm on my railclone segments. Rendered, it looks like this:

The problem I'm having is that I'm rendering this scene on a render farm that doesn't support Railclone, so I have to instance it before submiting it. But after instantiating, it looks like this:

Is there anyway to fix this?
Thanks a lot!

Dragan

Re: UVW Mapping is wrong after instantiating
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 08:21:48 PM »
UVW XForm works only under the RC Object so if you switch to instances it will break all UVW mapping.
I found https://hqdetails.com/shop/uvtools a very handy tool. Maybe this can help.

OU9561

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 09:00:57 PM »
UVW XForm works only under the RC Object so if you switch to instances it will break all UVW mapping.
I found https://hqdetails.com/shop/uvtools a very handy tool. Maybe this can help.

I'm not using UVW Xforms on the straight sections, just the vertical posts, but the parts that look wrong are the other ones...

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 09:36:59 AM »
Hi,

Sorry to hear you're facing this issue. Anything that involves manipulating the UVWs in RailClone, including box mapping, only works and maintains instancing when the object remains a RailClone object. This is because we are using the V-Ray API to implement those features at render time which isn't possible once the object is converted to native Max instances.

Since native instances have to be identical to one another, if it's not too high-poly you would need to collapse the mesh to an editable poly to bake in the UVW changes if you can't use RailClone. 

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 09:40:11 AM »
Just to add that ideally RC tools should collapse these segments for you automatically. We'll look into it and see if that can be implemented.

Best,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software