Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Potentially a bug?  (Read 2222 times)

JQ4668

Potentially a bug?
« on: June 09, 2015, 09:45:54 AM »
So I have a file with 2 Railclone objects. There are around 17 mil Polys in the scene and it's VERY heavy in the viewport.
The strange thing is. That if i select the Zoom tool in the buttom right corner. The scene navigates like an empty scene.
Is this a bug from railclones side? or what is this?

Btw. The way the scene is set up. its a scene with a bridge in it.
So i have the bridge on one spline.  With everything. Railing and crashbarriers ex.
Then i've made a new railclone object where i've used a new spline and then i've picked the bridge (wich is a railclone object) and plugged that into the default.
Could this be the reason for the heavy scene. That i have a railclone object in a railclone object?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Potentially a bug?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 11:10:38 AM »
Hi,

We haven't had any reported issues so far but it could be the case that nesting RC objects can cause slightly less efficient scenes because the instancing in the nested RC should be disabled. The Nested object is seen as a single combined mesh by the 2nd RC object and if the polycount is very high you may have lost some of the benefit of RC's instancing capabilities.

A couple of other things that may help. Make sure that the nested RC object's default > instancing engine is disabled otherwise the 2nd RC object won't generate instances. Also if it is enabled you won't be able to use the Points-cloud display mode that we use to keep viewport performance responsive.  I'd also be sure not to turn on the Nest parameter in the default segment containing the nested RC object unless necessary. This is used to re-seed the randomisation in the nested object for each time it is used, but it disables instancing as well.

If you are able to share the RC objects with us we'll happily take a look at them and try to give you more detailed information about what is slowing down the scene and see if there's anything that can be done to remedy it. If it's a large file please feel free to send it to use via wetransfer, dropbox or another sharing service to support@itoosoft.com.

I hope that helps.

Many thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software