Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: How to avoid some deformation  (Read 4118 times)

UP1808

How to avoid some deformation
« on: October 14, 2014, 11:22:21 AM »
Hi!

Probably I know the answer to my question, but maybe you can give me some additional infos on how to get this.

Please take a look at the images:

01:
http://www.ossosso.com/scambio/shoot_19.JPG

02:
http://www.ossosso.com/scambio/shoot_20.JPG

On link 01 you can see in red a geometry composed by different seat modules along a path
The link 02 show the module. The geometry of link 02 needs some adjustement to fix number of seams accordly with module of link 01, but doesn't matter for my question.

The problem is that when there is a curve along the path obviously the module is deformed, and also the "button holes" are deformed, they lost the "circle shape" and they will be streched to an eliptical shape.
I'd like only part of geometry between a "button hole" and the other could be deformed, leaving the round shape, even if they follow the path :)

I know it's too much, but.. do you think could be possible via Railclone? Or can you advice me some trick?

I hope I was clear enough thank you very much!

thanks in advance!

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: How to avoid some deformation
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 12:37:43 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the question. Unfortunately there is not a way to selectively "freeze" parts of a segment so this is a difficult problem to resolve using the existing geometry.

If however the spacing between the rows of buttons holes is regular, you may be able to separate the buttons from the chair and add them using a second generator. For the button segments you could then turn off bend to stop them deforming.

This may however involve decomposing your chair object into smaller segments. I've attached a file in which I've mocked up a simple cushion in a similar situation. In this example I've modelled the cushion as a mid section, an end, and then the buttons separately. This has the advantage of allowing you the potential to easily and parametrically adjust the number  of seams too.

This is then recreated using a Sequence operator to create the cushion patterns,  Mirror operators to use the end for both sides and a compose to create the breaks between the cushions. A second generator is used for the buttons:

I hope that helps a little. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software