Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Fixed Size Scale+Override no Scale  (Read 512 times)

Dragan

Fixed Size Scale+Override no Scale
« on: July 02, 2022, 10:27:50 AM »
A lot of times in my workflow I need this type of scaling:
1. Override Segment`s X/Y/X size with the Transform Operator
2. Follows the next Transform Operator to create 'empty' spaces with new X/Y/Z Sizes but without scaling.

As it works now, Transform Operator without Scale Segment checked will just retain the original Segment size. It would be logical to Segment retain the size created by the previous Transform Operator. Also, attribute values should follow the Transform`s size even though the Scale is not checked.

I know I can get a similar effect with Paddings but Paddings are not cumulative and Attributes would be wrong so a lot of manual calculation will be involved. Also, my goal would be to create a `safe` cage size to make safe rotations inside that transform Operator.

Please, take this into consideration. I think this will be almost valuable as SectionAdjustedLength.

Regards

« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 10:35:25 AM by Dragan »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Fixed Size Scale+Override no Scale
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 10:46:50 AM »
I'm not sure if i understood correctly, please correct me if i'm wrong:

1.- You resize a segment using Transform->Fixed Size->Scale Segment on. For example, resulting on a size of X:30, Y:10, Z:5
2.- Next, you want to add an empty space (padding) on X to the previous result, so apply a Transform->Fixed Size->Scale off, with X:35, Y:0, Z:0. That should result on a scaled segment of X:30+5 (space), Y:10, Z:5

If so, i'm afraid this is not possible. RailClone doesn't generate an intermediate mesh with the result of each transform, but combines each one of the operatores in sequence, and applies the final result to the segment mesh.
It works in this way for efficiency reasons, and to preserve instantiation.

In this case, 'Fixed Size' parameters are overriden by next Transforms. Specifically, X/Y/Z values are overriden when different from zero. But 'Scale Segment' parameter is overriden always, taking the value of the last transform.

It works similar to the Material operator. If you combine Mat ID 1->2 + Mat ID 2->3, it doesn't result in Mat ID 1->3, because material ID is not replaced in the mesh for each stage. Just values are overriden, taking the last operator.

I hope it has some sense.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 11:17:24 AM by iToo »
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Dragan

Re: Fixed Size Scale+Override no Scale
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 11:08:04 AM »
Hi, yes you understand correctly. 
I created this topic as an Enhancement Request :D
I needed some simple solution to create a "safe boundingbox" for a segment and be able to rotate it inside those safe zones and keep the bounding box, eg: bottles in the rack stack, blinds bars at a certain distance etc.
Of course, I have some workarounds to accomplish all that but this workflow seems would be the easiest one.
Regards