Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Floor Planks Macro - Length Variation  (Read 358 times)

junglejuz

Floor Planks Macro - Length Variation
« on: December 28, 2022, 06:13:17 AM »
Hi.
I'm trying to follow the Youtube tutorial "TUTORIAL: Creating Parquet Floors for Unreal Engine and 3ds Max" but instead of the Herringbone Macro I'm usng the Plank macro. My problem is the I need variation in the lengths on the floorboards and the macro doesn't allow for this. It only allows you to cary the widths for some reason. How do I add Min and Max Plank lengths?

Thanks in advance.

Justin

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Floor Planks Macro - Length Variation
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 10:04:09 AM »
Hi Justin,

There are several easy ways how to archive it – for example, by adding a Transform Operator between the Segment and the Plank Floor Macro, exporting the X Fixed Size Parameter and driving it by a Random Parameter where you can easily adjust the Range in Scene Units. Just please take note, that it should be set to Generate on: Segment. That should do the trick.

Optionally, you can just enable under the Transform tab of the used Segment the Random X Scale and adjust the desired percentage.

Best regards,

junglejuz

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 01:14:16 PM »
thanks. Fixed size didn't work, but fixed scale does seem to work. Does that sound right to you?

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 03:37:01 PM »
Hi,

Both of these approaches should work just fine. Do you drive the X Fixed Size Parameter by a Random Parameter? In case of any further troubles with it, please feel free to send us your scene (ideally simplified and containing just this problematic object(s)) to helpdesk@itoosoft.com to check it here. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

junglejuz

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 04:57:11 PM »
Yes i did use a Random Parameter node but it only worked with the exported Fixed Scale parameter of the Transform Operator. Didn't work with Fixed Size. Next time I have the file open I'll save it out and send to you.
Thanks Michael.