Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Feature Requests:  (Read 2852 times)

SU1130

Feature Requests:
« on: December 02, 2014, 04:03:45 PM »
Hi everybody,
first of all I was searching for an accumulated feature request thread, but didn't find one.
Maybe one of the moderators can create something like this? Favourably made sticky so that it stays on top of the RC Pro Forum.

We are using RC now for a while at our company and there are some features we are missing a lot, as listed below:

- Parameter: Boolean
Let us have a parameter to turn things on and off in a railclone object.

- Parameter: Selection List
It would be nice to have some kind of selection list so there could be for example different kinds of sections for a window frame in one RC-Object an one only need to change the parameter

- Conditional Operator needs more Options
For example the Boolean and Selection List mentioned above. So you can have some kind of real if... then...-workflow. So certain segments can simply be switched of by parameter rather than editing the railclone object.
Another example would be having one cornertype when going from a splinesection with ID 1 to one with a ID2 and having another one for the reverse case.
Maybe it would be good to rework the thing into an if..then.. operator and an compare operator, which returns true if certain values are either matched or not.

- Generators should have an Output
There are many situation where it would be nice to use a railclone generator as an segment for another generator. This would make RC much more powerful
... just found out that user harumscarum already requested this, so is there any progress about this?

- Array2S Generator: Option to give a numeric value instead of a second spline
This would be some kind of  Array1.5S I guess. The numeric value x would be interpreted as an imaginary linear spline with the length x. So we can have all the benefits of using a Array2S without the hustle of creating a second spline.

- Comments
This something I've recently learned to love in UnrealEditor4. Select A bunch of nodes press 'c' and bam these nodes are grouped inside a frame you can add descriptional text to.

- Spinner Control Steps
Maybe there is already an option for this or it has to do with using system units in metres. It is kind of annoying when you expect the spinner to go up in 0,01m steps but it goes up 1m and the next time it is the other way round. So maybe it would be nice if the user can choose the behaviour of the spinners or it just takes the max values as default.

I guess that is what we collected so far, any comments are appreciated. Maybe some things mentioned could be achieved one way or another, but I guess giving the user multiple ways of doing stuff could help making RC more intuitive.

Anyways we like the tool a lot, keep up the good work

best regards
Christian
homebase2.com
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 09:52:02 AM by SU1130 »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Feature Requests:
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 10:15:45 AM »
Hi everybody,
first of all I was searching for an accumulated feature request thread, but didn't find one.
Maybe one of the moderators can create something like this? Favourably made sticky so that it stays on top of the RC Pro Forum.

Hi, we have not a sticky thread with suggestions because in short time it would be filled of old issues, being difficult of read. But please, feel free to create new posts when needed. We appreciate your feedback.

- Parameter: Boolean
Let us have a parameter to turn things on and off in a railclone object.

Added in RC 2.4.0 beta. To use it: select a node->right click->Export Parameters->On/Off.

- Parameter: Selection List
It would be nice to have some kind of selection list so there could be for example different kinds of sections for a window frame in one RC-Object an one only need to change the parameter

Yes, this is something we want to add. Currently it's possible to use a Selector operator exporting the Index parameter, but it's handled by a numeric value, not a list.

- Conditional Operator needs more Options
For example the Boolean and Selection List mentioned above. So you can have some kind of real if... then...-workflow. So certain segments can simply be switched of by parameter rather than editing the railclone object.
Another example would be having one cornertype when going from a splinesection with ID 1 to one with a ID2 and having another one for the reverse case.
Maybe it would be good to rework the thing into an if..then.. operator and an compare operator, which returns true if certain values are either matched or not.

I guess most of these cases can be solved using Arithmetic->Expression (which includes an 'if' operator), combined with a Selector node. We'll be pleased to discuss specific cases in a separate thread, if you have them.
Regarding IDs, currently there are two ways use them: in the Conditional operator and with Generator->Limits.

- Generators should have an Output
There are many situation where it would be nice to use a railclone generator as an segment for another generator. This would make RC much more powerful

Agreed. We tried that, but there are some technical issues we have not solved yet. Meanwhile, remember you can use a RailClone object as input for a Segment.

- Array2S Generator: Option to give a numeric value instead of a second spline

It can be done actually setting X/Y Size parameters (zero by default). Same with linear generator.

- Comments
This something I've recently learned to love in UnrealEditor4. Select A bunch of nodes press 'c' and bam these nodes are grouped inside a frame you can add descriptional text to.

Agreed.

- Spinner Control Steps
Maybe there is already an option for this or it has to do with using system units in metres. It is kind of annoying when you expect the spinner to go up in 0,01m steps but it goes up 1m and the next time it is the other way round. So maybe it would be nice if the user can choose the behaviour of the spinners or it just takes the max values as default.

For "Scene Units" controls, RailClone uses the same behaviour of the Max spinner controls, where increment depends of the current value. We'll check if this is working as intended.

I guess that is what we collected so far, any comments are appreciated. Maybe some things mentioned could be achieved one way or another, but I guess giving the user multiple ways of doing stuff could help making RC more intuitive.

Anyways we like the tool a lot, keep up the good work.

Many thanks for your your feedback and compliments.  ;)
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software