Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Shutters with Array2S - overlapping geo  (Read 1124 times)

eqko

Shutters with Array2S - overlapping geo
« on: June 29, 2016, 09:39:38 AM »
so I am trying to build a shutter with an Array2S, but I'm getting overlapping geometry
on the top & bottom between the left/right side and the 4 corners (see image and maxfile)

also, the slats are going through the top and the bottom segments (see maxfile)

I'm sure I must be doing something wrong, I'm nearly there, but the result needs to be cleaner.
Overlapping geo is a no-go.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Shutters with Array2S - overlapping geo
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 11:46:09 AM »
Hi!

Thanks for contacting us. Please see the attached file for a possible solutions.

In this style I have created a new A2S generator for the slats. I that way you can adjust the size of the array so that it fits inside the frame. I did this by taking the existing X Size and subtracting the height of the bottom and top rails to get the height, and subtracting the sides to get the width. You will then need to offset the slat segments on the X axis by the width of the left side and on the Y axis the height of the bottom rail.

I hope this helps out, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

eqko

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 01:49:21 PM »
looking good.

just to clarify things though, was I wrong in my assumption of how this works ?
I thought the A2S was basically a grid layout, but apparently there is overlap
between the gridsections ....

also, We don't have the latest RC running yet (just installed it to check your revision)
opening it in an earlier version seems to break it (the slats stand to the side of the frame).
What's changed in the newer version that this might be the case ?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 02:39:49 PM »
Hi,

You're correct that the A2S generator works like a 2d grid but there are some issues when the Y evenly spacing distance is smaller than the height of the bottom or top rail that caused them to overlap. Y and X evenly cut through the grid at regularly spaced intervals and if those intervals are two small they may appear too close or to intersect the sides. My solution usually therefore is to split this into 2 generators and compute the evenly spacing using a new array size that subtracts the size of the sides. That said I've attached another version that uses just one generator and constrains everything to the grid so you can see how that might look too.

It's hard to know exactly what changes might have made the style incompatible with older versions, it depends which one you have and we occasionally make changes or fix the way features are computed. We always make sure styles are forward compatible, but we can't be sure they'll be backwards compatible as new features are added and improved.

Cheers!

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software