Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Get material from object  (Read 1851 times)

Macker

Get material from object
« on: May 01, 2015, 11:18:10 AM »
Hey guys,

I am trying to scatter loads of cars around a car park, which is working perfectly except on the material front. The problem is that each of the cars has a multi-sub-object material, with differing material ID's for different materials (as you would expect). This is a problem because I somehow need to get all the materials, from all of the cars into one MSOM, and make sure their paint material ID's tally up etc.

Could you not make the system work in a similar way to forest pro whereby each objects material is respected, rather than an overall material being used? This isn't the first time I've run into this issue. Perhaps a "get material from segment" option.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Get material from object
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 11:28:12 AM »
Hi, this feature is already in our to-do list. Initially we would implement the same method used in Forest, but we must evaluate carefully what side effects may be.
In any case, we want to provide a solution for this issue in the next updates.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Macker

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 11:30:46 AM »
That sounds fantastic.

I realise this could be a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question, but when do you expect this feature to make it into a beta?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 11:32:49 AM »
Hi,

Just a quick tip until we release this feature. If you don't want to create a multi-sub object shader and re-assign IDs manually, an easy way to consolidate materials is as follows:

-    Attach all the cars into a single mesh. Use the default options, so Max creates the multi-sub object.
-    Detach each car back into separate objects.
-    Re-adjust the pivots if necessary.

You may find there are some scripts that can make a multi-sub object for you. For example I use RappaTools which has a Multi-Material from Selection option. This creates a multi-sub object material and automatically re=assigns the IDs. I believe the free version may have the same functionality, but I haven't tried it

I hope that helps.

Many thanks,

Paul.
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Macker

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 11:59:34 AM »
That is a great help, thanks.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 09:11:01 AM »
I realise this could be a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question, but when do you expect this feature to make it into a beta?

No idea, sorry. The next beta may take some time, because we have released RailClone 2.4 short time ago.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

DM5847

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 11:34:38 AM »
Hi,

Is there an update to this issue?

Asking before I have to go through re-doing about 50 people for a stand to get the materials to work :(

Thanks!

Dean

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 11:46:42 AM »
I'm afraid not. We are currently working on new version of RC but there is a lot we'd like to do and the release is not imminent. In the meantime I can recommend the techniques described above to create a Multi-sub tex automatically

-    Attach all the cars into a single mesh. Use the default options, so Max creates the multi-sub object.
-    Detach each car back into separate objects.
-    Re-adjust the pivots if necessary.

You may find there are some scripts that can make a multi-sub object for you. For example I use RappaTools which has a Multi-Material from Selection option. This creates a multi-sub object material and automatically re=assigns the IDs. I believe the free version may have the same functionality, but I haven't tried it

Rappatools in particular is very useful. For me it creates new materials and reassigns IDs in a single click.

Many thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Klonsemann

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 09:30:45 AM »
Same Problem here. Would we very nice if this feature will be impelmented in future release.