Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Paving pattern  (Read 7348 times)

HG2581

Paving pattern
« on: April 15, 2014, 11:52:41 AM »
Hi

Has anybody got any tips on setting up this type of paving pattern. I just can work out how to get the offset.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Paving pattern
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 02:18:08 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for your question, I've been able to recreate that style, please see the file attached and the instructions below. In this example the large slabs are 200mm x 200mm and small ones are 100mm x 100mm.
  • Create a new A2S array with an enclosed spline wired to the Clipping area input. From the generator's properties turn on Extend X/Y size to area.
  • Try to identify a repeating pattern, there are many possibilities but in this case I've selected the slabs outlined in red in the following picture.

• Recreate the pattern using the two paving slab segments and a Compose operator in RailClone. By adjusting the padding and transform values of the segments you can recreate the layout. 

• For each row this pattern offsets by 100mm, we could add a new Transform operators for each offset and wire them to a Y incrementing sequence operator but in this case it will be neater to use an expression. Wire the Compose node to a new Transform operator, Right click the operator and export X Fixed translation
  • Create a new Arithmetic operator, switch the mode to Expression and enter the following: mod(-SegmentYCounter,5)*Input1 The modulo command will keep the number cycling between 0 and 4 as the segment count increases on the Y axis. This is then multiplied by the offset amount that will be wired into the nodes first Input slot. We haven't created this yet.
  • Create a new Constant operator and wire it to the arithmetic node. Change the Constant type to scene units and enter a value of 100mm.
  • Wire the Arithmetic node to the X Fixed Translation input of the Transform node. The final node tree will look like this:

• This completes the pattern. Because of the offset you will find the right side of the array is ragged. To compensate for this, increase the Generator's General > Clipping Area > Expand percentage. Smaller areas will require a higher percentage.

• You could also use the Transform operator to introduce some small rotation, translation and scale randomisation.

Please find attached a .max file with the finished style.

Hope that helps,

Kind regards,

Paul
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 02:20:54 PM by Paul Roberts »
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

HG2581

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 05:17:08 PM »
Paul

Thanks! It is easy when you know how, that is just what I am looking for. I could not work out the expression, programming is not my forte. 

Fantastic software that just keeps amazing me at what it can do and how easy it makes things!

QM3423

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 03:05:05 PM »
This is awesome!  However, i am trying to re-engineer your sample to show a little more variety of stone sizes.  For example, can this be modified to represent a true random-rectangular stone pattern?  T Hat would normally have a variety of squares and rectangles in these standard sizes:   Standard Sizes: 12" x 12", 12" x 18", 12" x 24", 12" x 30", 12" x 36", 18" x 18", 18" x 24", 18" x 30", 18" x 36", 24" x 24", 24" x 30", 24" x 36"

For example, could you help modify your sample scene to include pavers like the attached image (four paver sizes instead of two) and they are a little larger than your sample.  It seems very doable its just a little larger of a repeating area.  But I am over my head here!

Thanks a bunch.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 05:45:41 PM »
Hi,

I've solved that one by creating the pattern first as a separate RailClone object and then nesting this inside another. Because it offsets on both axes I've tried to find a diagonal in the pattern to use as an X axis instead. It's a bit of an odd approach but it works for some patterns. I may be able to find a more elegant solution but this does the job for now :)

Let me know if you have any questions about the file, thanks.

Paul
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 05:51:29 PM by Paul Roberts »
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

shiyan lin

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 02:34:47 PM »
Hi,Paul

The method you used is quite amazing,I found it very useful,Thanks for sharing!

Below attached a herringbone pattern made with similar method Paul introduced(I know there are herringbone tutorial)

Thanks again for this short tutorial
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:42:35 PM by shiyan lin »