Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Generators limited by Sp Mat ID don't join.  (Read 1246 times)

Alex.S

Generators limited by Sp Mat ID don't join.
« on: March 09, 2017, 12:10:31 PM »
A little something I came across recently.

If you use spline mat id to limit a generator, then the edges between the types wont match at the joins unless they are completely straight.

This is a little bit annoying obviously, as if your generating along the spline you probably want them to join up?

Simple box on a spline with two mat ids below, obviously in practice I'm using much more complicated geometry which can only be done on separate generators.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 12:13:21 PM by Alex.S »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Generators limited by Sp Mat ID don't join.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 01:00:04 PM »
Hi,

As mentioned in this "Drop curb problem on curved line" tightly related post: "Unfortunately this is a limitation when using the Generator > Limit to ID feature on curved splines. Internally each spline section is considered separate so it cannot compute the curves required to create a continuous deformation where the two IDs adjoin."

Building the style in a slightly different way would be recommendable in this case. Like using the Conditional Operator where you can set the Material ID (there are multiple modes available - Equal / Not / Greater / Less / Multiple of) taking in mind, that "in order for this to work all the vertices within a spline section with the same ID should be either curve or bezier, with corner or bezier-corner reserved to mark a material ID change".

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:34:00 PM by Michal Karmazín »

Alex.S

Re: Generators limited by Sp Mat ID don't join.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 06:38:10 PM »
You lose significant functionality by doing it there though. Although it may work OK, I'll investigate, it's not something that can be fixed in the future by the sounds of it?

Couldn't you basically do something similar to the padding instead? So it pads out the other parts? Probably not high priority I guess :(
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:09:43 PM by Alex.S »