Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Pavement clipping problem with surface  (Read 3645 times)

CK-Mini

Pavement clipping problem with surface
« on: November 20, 2017, 12:37:06 PM »
Hello,

I always have the a problem when it comes to pavements with different surface layers and clipping areas.
The pavement always tries to extend to the next element level.
What can I do and what is the best solution for this problem.
I really don't want to detach the elements.

Like always: An attached image tells more then 1000 words.

I attached the Max2018-File.

Thanks in advance
Carsten

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 12:39:21 PM by CK-Mini »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Pavement clipping problem with surface
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 01:10:06 PM »
Hi Carsten,

As mentioned here: "To work correctly, the RailClone object should be entirely enclosed by the boundaries of the surface. If the RailClone object overlaps a boundary, unwanted deformation can occur. Making the surface slightly larger (for example by using the Edit Polygons > Outline & Inset tools) should avoid any unwanted deformations."

In your case, split it into multiple RC objects would be the recommendable way to avoid any deformations.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

CK-Mini

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 02:09:24 PM »
Hi,

thank you for your fast answer. I really tried to search the forum but had no idea what to look for.

So am I right, that something like that (see attachment) is not possible?

There is no difference if the spline boarder is a little smaller than the surface or not.

CK-Mini

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 02:10:39 PM »
Max-File

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 03:53:48 PM »
Hi Carsten,

Thanks for the provided scene. Treating these parts in separate Generators (or RC objects) would be recommendable. Attaching the modified scene. Hope, you'll find it helpful.

Best regards,

CK-Mini

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 05:51:33 PM »
Hi,

this was not the solution I was looking for, because I have a very complex area with lots of ramps and stairs. And it needs to be one element.
I will try to find another solution. But thank you.

Regards Carsten

JTP Vis

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 03:53:28 PM »
Hi Carsten,

I'm not sure that the solution offered by Michal is far from what you are looking for! As far as I can see, he's using the same surface, plugged into different generators within the same RC object. The only thing that is different is the clipping splines that are applied to the areas that have common edges. The way I look at it is that the areas should be looked at in plan. If the edges of any areas are in the same place, i.e. there are two edges, one under the other, in plan, then you need to make another area with a clipping shape.

In the end you should have a single surface, multiple shapes which define the different levels, and one railclone. For each level, you need a new generator with the surface and the specific area plugged in as Michal showed.

Perhaps that was helpful... perhaps not. I hope so.

Cheers,

Bill