Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Gradient Scale Facade  (Read 1222 times)

EM4616

Gradient Scale Facade
« on: August 21, 2022, 11:28:48 PM »
Hi!
Trying to make a facade with a variable size wall around the window.
Basically, a gradient of size, from small to large.
Unfortunately I don't know how to do this. It should be quite simple.
In any case, I would be happy if I had two ways to do this, one - with the help of the morphe modifier on the railclone (so that I can play with the result) and the other only using the railclone style, if possible.

Attach a picture and a file.
I want to do this in the upper part of the building (residential).
Thank you !

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Gradient Scale Facade
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 04:13:21 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the interesting question. This goes a little beyone what RailClone is currently capable of, and at present I can only really thing to get close using the Morpher method we discussed previously.

To use that though technique though, I had to make the following modifications.

- To use the Morpher modifier, the vertex count has to stay exactly the same. That means the open and closed window segments need to be an identical size and vertex count.
- I also disabled slice for the segments to maximise the chance of vertex counts staying the same.
- RailClone objects have instancing disabled. I added a turn to mesh modifier above.
- I used a volume select with a loft object to select the vertices to Morph. You could use any technique you like to generate a mesh of course.
- I duplicated the RailCLone object and modified the graph to create the morphed version. It's a bit easier than capturing it from the same object all the time if you want to change the morphed version.
- I used a Data Channel Modifier with GeoQuantize. This averages out the selection per element and it's good for ensuring the windows remain rectangular. It's a bit slow though so you'd probably want to disable it while experimenting with the design.

Please find the file attached. I hope it helps,

Paul

Paul Roberts
iToo Software

EM4616

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 09:16:09 AM »
Wow Paul, thanks a lot.
I wish it was a little less complicated for me.
It helps me anyway.
Hopefully in the upcoming improvements we will see such intuitive options.
The truth is that I have a pretty powerful computer and yet the morpher on the railcon is quite heavy and it's not easy to work.
If it is possible to upload tutorial videos, even on simple gradients of scale or rotation, we will understand the principles as simply as possible. It will be very helpful and useful.
Thanks, much appreciated

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 09:21:54 AM »
Hi,

Happy to help out. Unfortunately the Morpher modifier is slow - let's hope that it's one of the Modifier's the Max team is working to improve since they've worked on several others recently. Actually I covered this case in yesterday's livestream where we look at interesting questions we've been asked over the last month. Here's the section on this approach in case it's of help. https://youtu.be/HDsgEqc3iqg?t=2875

Best,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

EM4616

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 01:55:22 PM »
Hey
awesome Livestream ! thanks

I can't copy the railclone object and stay with the same number of vertices - in the mode of area clipping.
After I copy the railclone object, also in instance mode - the number of vertices changes a little after I put the turn to mesh modifier.
And that's why the morpher doesn't work.
I would appreciate help with this, I have attached a file.
Thanks !

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 03:57:44 PM »
Hi,

I can't see an easy fix for this one. The top of the facade is sliced, and with the geometry changing between morph states you're always going to end up with different vertex counts. I've worked around it in the following way.

- Since the roof is sliced on two planes, I've divided the RC objects into two, one front and one side each.
- In the RailClone Objects, turn off Slice for the Segment and change the Clipping mode to Preserve.
- Set up the Morpher modifier and Volume Selection as per the tutorial. In this case, though I just captured the morph target from the stack instead of instancing a separate model.
- You'll now need to fix the roof. I simply used a slice modifier to cut away the uneven top section.

I hope that helps,

Paul
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 04:00:21 PM by Paul Roberts »
Paul Roberts
iToo Software