Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Railclone convert auto material  (Read 371 times)

IM1808

Railclone convert auto material
« on: February 20, 2023, 11:24:37 AM »
Hi,

I worked on a renderable/printable kitchen generator and used the auto material object, i think your software is using some kind of script multisuboject eventually and i would like to know if there is a method to convert the result to polyedit for use without railclone.

Raiclone is perfect to generate but i think we need the right compromise with the generator and the converted poly objects, otherwise the scene becomes heavier with multi generators which can be complex, and i'm not talking about the rest that makes up the scene.

It will be easier if i can keep your kind of script which is used on the end result or some sort of a multisubobject with an antribution ID, is that possible ?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Railclone convert auto material
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 11:01:05 AM »
Hi,

Well, really when 'Use Segment Material' is enabled, RailClone doesn't create a multisub material.
Instead, it sends the single materials directly to the render engine. Although 3DSMax doesn't support multiple materials by object, most of render engines have not this limitation.

For you case, i see several options:

1.- Convert RailClone to standalone objects using RailClone Tools->Instantiate. This generates separated Max objects, each one with its material.

2.- To improve performance while keeping RC objects, use Display->Proxy Cache->Embedded. When enabled, RC object is locked and rebuilds much faster (it can be disabled at any time).

3.- Use a third-party script to generate a multisub material from multiple objects, and then assign this material to RC (disabling 'Use Segment Material'). Rappatools or Assembly Tool could be used for this.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software