Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Help with Power Lines  (Read 410 times)

janpetrak

Help with Power Lines
« on: December 31, 2022, 03:46:50 PM »
Hi, I was trying to make Power Line for my new project. I have reproduced step by step tutorial on YouTube from iToo channel, but unfortunately with totally different result and multiple problems:
1) When I change Evenly Distance Value, Cables doesn't fit properly anymore. My thought was, that this issue shouldn't be a problem with Scale Padding checkbox checked.
2) When I use spline with corners instead of just straight line, cables wasn't aligned anymore.
I have tried multiple things to solve it, but without any success. I have bought RailClone just last month, so I have almost no experiences with this plugin, so I will really appreciate any help to understand where I'm doing wrong and how to fix it.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Help with Power Lines
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 11:45:30 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for your question. The first issue is indeed caused by having Scale Padding checked. When this is enabled, the padding size is also scaled along with the geometry when using Scale, Adaptive, and Count modes. If you disable this option, the scale value remains constant which is what is required for this style. This option wasn't available when the tutorial was recorded and padding in old versions was always constant.

The second issue is rather harder to solve. The problem is that the offset from the center spline doesn't remain consistent if the corner angles are different. This image illustrates the problem:

As you can see, in order for the cables to stay connected they need to be offset from the center spline further at one end of the section than the other. Currently, this isn't something that RailClone can do automatically.If I can think of a workaround I'll post it here.

Best,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

janpetrak

Re: Help with Power Lines
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 06:23:14 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for explaining the problem. I understand why it can't be done.

Jan Petrak