Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: How can I make the corner sharp without smooth modifier ?  (Read 3243 times)

cc8boy

• I'll do my best.Welcome to www.c7design.cn .
    • C7design
How can I make the corner sharp without smooth modifier ?
« on: November 27, 2014, 03:30:40 PM »
Hi developers of iToosoft
I was making the skirting board at the bottom of my walls. But I found all the corners of my skirting board are smooth (The faces between every segments are in same smooth group) even I set all my knots of my splines to corner mode. How can I make the corner sharp (not in the same smooth group) without adding a smooth modfier ? I can't find the option about smooth group in Railclone Pro.
We are working hard in virtual effects in 3DSMAX. Welcome to our website in China.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: How can I make the corner sharp without smooth modifier ?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 03:47:40 PM »
Hi,

I'm afraid RailClone does not have functions to manage smoothing groups, these are retained from the the source geometry. That said, it looks as though you have vertex weld switched on? If you turn this off the corners will remain sliced and you will get nice clean edges. There shouldn't be any need to weld the corners for this kind of setup.

The only other alternative is, as you mention, to add a smooth operator. Normally this would remove instancing support but if you are already using vertex weld then this also has the same effect.

I hope that helps,

Many thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

cc8boy

• I'll do my best.Welcome to www.c7design.cn .
    • C7design
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 04:00:02 PM »
I must keep the whole mesh closed because I will use the V-ray edge map in the bump map channel in my shader . The only thing I can do is adding the smooth modifier now. I hope Railclone can handle the smooth group in the future.
We are working hard in virtual effects in 3DSMAX. Welcome to our website in China.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »
Aha! I understand. In that case the smooth operator is probably the best workaround at present.

Many thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software