Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Might be easy?  (Read 493 times)

TL1895

Might be easy?
« on: June 22, 2022, 01:38:04 AM »
I need to use this type of exterior siding shingle very often.  Would love to be able to use RC and clipping splines to accomplish it.  I made a terrible attempt that worked viewed from a long distance, and memory intensive.  I abandoned it.  Would anyone mind giving me some ideas for a starting point to make this style?  Even just using basic rectangles would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
TL1895

P.S. Using 3dsmax2019 and V-Ray
The shingles will be painted a uniform color, so no material randomization is needed yet...

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Might be easy?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 12:13:41 PM »
Please see the attached file for an example. Although it looks easy, the fact that each shingle is a randomised width makes it quite challenging. The answer is to use an expression that can work out how much space is left along the spline, and if it falls below a certain threshold then it scales the final tile to fit.

To find available space remaining along the spline you can use the following expression

return XSplineLength-(XSplineLength*XSplinePosition);

You'll then need to take into consideration any padding you are using between tiles and the size and padding of any segments wired to the End input of the Generator. In my attached style I've used a simple arithmetic node to subtract those values from the results of the expression shown above.

After that, you'll need a test to see if the size of the remaining space falls below a certain threshold (I've used 1.5 times the size of a standard tile). You can use the following expression where Input1 is the remaining size on the spline minus the ends segments, and Input 2 is the size of a standard tile.

return if(Input1<Input2*1.5,Input1,0);

I hope that helps. This is an interesting question so I might tackle it in tomorrow's AskiToo livestream.

Cheers,
Paul
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 09:40:00 AM by Paul Roberts »
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

TL1895

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 04:15:28 PM »
Hi Paul,

I'm downloading the file now and will make an attempt this evening!
Thank you for the quick reply, detailed explanation, and the example file.
Wow, there's a Q&A livestream...cool!

Thank you,
TL1895

TL1895

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 08:10:03 PM »
Dear Paul,

Would you mind uploading that as max2019, please?

Thanks again!

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 09:40:32 AM »
Sure! I've just updated the file in the post above. Please try to redownload it.

Let me know if you have any issues.

Thanks!
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

TL1895

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 06:12:20 PM »
Hi Paul,

Wow, that works like  a charm and the ability to use/not use y translation/rotation is a nice bonus because there are still some cases where there is Z variation.
I'm working on making a similar version for outside corners so thank you so much for the tremendous head start!

Best,
TL1895