Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Is there a sticky bug report thread?  (Read 2814 times)

mynewcat

Is there a sticky bug report thread?
« on: November 05, 2014, 04:43:05 PM »
I've had a few issues and bugs with railclone such as:

• Libraries attempting to import Vray materials when they should be using only MR materials.
    Fencing material switches don't work - wooden fences show only aged materials.

I often encounter bugs and I'm not sure where to post them.

I love Forest Pack and Raiclone - but there are definitely some areas where it is unfinished - and I find it more time consuming to fix those issues than to model and create using my old methods.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Is there a sticky bug report thread?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 07:22:12 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for reporting these issues. Generally posting bug reports in a thread like this is fine, we pay close attention to the forum so we shouldn't miss anything, but I'll ask the team about adding a sticky thread.

I'll look into these issues but I wonder if you can recall the libraries that are loading V-Ray materials? I've looked through the Mental Ray mat lib and all the materials appear to be using Arch and Design shaders. I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of additional questions to help isolate the problem: When the issue occurs is the Material Selector set to Automatic? Does setting it to Mental Ray make a difference?

Some of the library presets use operators that are not compatible with Mental Ray. In the case of the wooden fences the Material operator used to switch between new and aged materials is not supported .  It's worth mentioning here too that Segment->Deform->Mapping is also not compatible, you can read more about this here but unfortunately this is a limitation of the render engines.

Turning off Display->Render->Use Geometry Shader will force these nodes to work correctly but the RailClone object will render as a single mesh with no instancing. If the polycount isn't huge this shouldn't be a problem. In the event that the operator isn't used we should make the clean textures the default as I imagine that would be more useful for Mental Ray users than the aged look. I'll change this for the next update.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Paul

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 07:32:46 PM by Paul Roberts »
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

mynewcat

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
Thanks for swift reply.

Any of the drainpipe and guttering libraries.

You get a Vray exposure control  warning... sometimes you have to really clean a scene out of Vray stuff.

The wooden fences contain the error for "aged textures" - you know the deal, those back garden fences.

I've also noticed that the drainpipes are randomising materials across the brackets and pipes, rather than sticking to the one material I have selected!

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 04:17:27 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the details. I'll double check the guttering library and remove any references to V-Ray.

The wooden fences I've fixed thanks to your last post so this should be sorted in the next update. The drainpipes unfortunately use the Material Operator that isn't compatible with MR but I'll make sure that the colour is consistent when MR is used. I'm afraid you still won't be able to select between colours using the parameters though unless Display->Render->Use Geometry Shader is switched off. As another workaround you could try picking off the multi sub/object material and use just the single Arch & Design material with the colour you want on the RailClone object.

Thanks again for the feedback, please let me know if you spot any other anomalies.

Kind regards,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

harumscarum

• harumscarum's portfolio
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 07:17:13 PM »
wrong behavior of Mirror with Compose (treats each segment individually)

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 07:39:07 PM »
Hi,

To mirror a compose node you can use the Reverse Operator, this inverts the order and also has the option to mirror the segments too.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

harumscarum

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 07:54:21 PM »
thanks! but still some issue (because of padding)

harumscarum

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 08:28:44 PM »
wrong Filet corner with Y offset enabled. is it possible to fix it so first offset applied than fillet

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 10:26:35 AM »
wrong Filet corner with Y offset enabled. is it possible to fix it so first offset applied than fillet

Indeed, fillet is applied before offset, causing this problem.
Thanks for reporting, we'll try to fix it.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

mynewcat

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 09:27:28 PM »
The wooden fences I've fixed thanks to your last post so this should be sorted in the next update. The drainpipes unfortunately use the Material Operator that isn't compatible with MR but I'll make sure that the colour is consistent when MR is used. I'm afraid you still won't be able to select between colours using the parameters though unless Display->Render->Use Geometry Shader is switched off. As another workaround you could try picking off the multi sub/object material and use just the single Arch & Design material with the colour you want on the RailClone object.

The wooden fence issue still seems to be there.

I'll be honest with you, I don't know why you don't make the default material the most popular material.

So the drains and guttering should be black (like in the example images) and the fences default colour scheme should be the normal brown (like in the example images).

In both cases, the alternate material seems to be the default selected material - why not reverse that, so us non VRAY users don't feel like second class users?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 11:32:18 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for reporting these issues, they have already been resolved and will be available in the the next RailClone version due out later this month. The Wooden fences now use the clean material as default and all gutters with the exception of the two copper styles use black as the default material.

If you wish to use the other colours or textures this is possible with all renderers, but you must disable instancing by unchecking the Display > Render > Use Instancing Engine option.

As mentioned, nearly all of RailClone's features can be enabled for all renderers in this way, with the caveat that memory usage can be higher depending on the complexity of the segments used. For a full list of features supported by the different renderers please see this table, those features that can be enabled by unchecking instancing are highlighted with a .

I hope that information is helpful.

Many thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software