Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Array around a curve with random pieces  (Read 1897 times)

iToo_Butler

• DJS CGI
Array around a curve with random pieces
« on: July 24, 2015, 03:28:02 PM »
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help? I have 6 segments of various widths and want to array them around a curve randomly to create a random mix of different width for some paving.

I've attached my flow and a screen grab of the problem. (I can't embed the images from dropbox for some reason)

2015 Maxfile attached for you to look at.

Kudos to anyone that can close the gaps up! They are all the same size but appear to be in random places.Thanks in advance.

Andy.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 03:30:13 PM by iToo_Butler »
Cheers,

iToo_Butler.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Array around a curve with random pieces
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 05:24:03 PM »
Hi Andy.

That could be caused by the vertex types on the spline. If they are set to corner or bezier-corner on a curved path you may not get smooth deformation. If possible try to use bezier or smooth unless you need the segments to be bevelled around a hard bend. That said, I can't actually reproduce the issue exactly as you've shown it. Are you able to supply a Max file with the RailClone object and the spline shown in your screen grabs?

Thanks!

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

iToo_Butler

• DJS CGI
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 09:21:31 AM »
Thanks Paul,

The maxfile is attached above (twice for some reason) but I've attached it to this post again in case there was a problem with the previous file. Let me know if you still can't see it.

I have checked and all the vertices are set to bezier. To get my path, I drew a circle, and used and edit spline modifier to chop it where i wanted. The gaps don't appear  where a vertex is, it appears to be random.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:25:55 AM by iToo_Butler »
Cheers,

iToo_Butler.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 10:39:30 AM »
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the file, it was very helpful and we've been able to identify the issue. All the segments have an Alignment > X setting of Left with the exception of Segment 150 which is set to Pivot. If you correct this you should fine the gaps disappear.

I hope that helps, please let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Many thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

iToo_Butler

• DJS CGI
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 11:22:17 AM »
Dang!

I checked these twice as I had an inkling this was the problem! I am ashamed I missed that one!

Thanks for pointing it out.  :-[
Cheers,

iToo_Butler.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 12:46:46 PM »
No worries, glad we could help out.  :)
Paul Roberts
iToo Software