Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: slow viewport performance  (Read 1367 times)

muoto

slow viewport performance
« on: July 06, 2022, 12:19:29 PM »
Hello,

i got a scene with 3-4 railclones, not that heavy globally and there is always a small viewport lag when i start panning/rotating/zooming with the mouse.

i tried point-clouds/boxes etc, but the small lag remains.

As soon as i turn of the railcones, the lag dissapears and all is working smooth.

On my workstation, i got a dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6136 CPU @ 3.00GHz, 64gb ram, gforce rtx3090 with latest drivers, lastest FP/RC/win11, latest Corona and max2023. So should be rather ok...

Is there anything to do about this lagging ?

Thanks!

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: slow viewport performance
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 12:26:04 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch. I wouldn't have thought there should be a lag for a relatively simple style in Box mode. Would you mind sending us a simplified scene that reproduces the issue? You can email it to helpdesk@itoosoft.com.

Many thanks,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

muoto

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 01:41:22 PM »
Will send it right away.
If i only enable FP, it seems to works well.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 03:17:07 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the file. I've taken a look but on my system it appears to be working pretty well. With all RC objects in Box mode I'm getting 70 to 100+ frames per second in the viewports.

Could you let me know which version of RailClone you're using and what sort of FPS your getting too?

Cheers,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

muoto

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 03:56:03 PM »
When all in boxed mode, I get around 100fps indeed also
In quickmesh mode, around 10-15fps

that seems ok, but i have kind of 1-2 sec lag after a while when i want to pan/rotate/move the perspective viewport. It's something i do not have when having them turned off (and FP still on)

I have RC 5.2.2 installed.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 04:07:10 PM »
Thanks for clarifying, sorry I realise now that you mentioned the version installed in your first message. It sounds to me like something is triggering a rebuild, although panning and zooming shouldn't cause that issue. I wonder if setting the Proxy Cache to Embedded would help, if not it would rule out the rebuild theory.

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

muoto

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2022, 12:23:15 PM »
i still have the impression that, even when having railclones in Box mode, the overall viewport performance (rotating, panning, even selecting objects etc) is way slower than turning them completely off.

for instance, having them in box mode, and then pressing H to select objects, is incredebly slower than when having them off.

edit: i think i found the problem, i had them in auto-build mode. when turning it off, all is speedy fine. So probably something about this that could be optimised ?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 12:44:05 PM by muoto »

SamyC38

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2022, 04:02:04 PM »
Hi,
I have exactly the same problem. As soon as I launch a rendering it is a lot. For example with the training file L1S_EXERVICE-END.MAX. I tried to unravel the Auo-Build box but it's the same.
Is this a compatibility problem with the new version of Railclone and Corona?

Thanks,

Samuel

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2022, 09:38:45 AM »
Hello Samuel,

The scene uses standard Max materials, maybe that's causing a slow down in launch for that scene? Here though it seems quite fast and viewport performance is often over 100fps. If you have another problematic file, please feel free to send it over to us, and if you can see at what stage of the rendering process the slow down occurs, it might be helpful to know that too.

Cheers,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2022, 10:20:30 AM »
i still have the impression that, even when having railclones in Box mode, the overall viewport performance (rotating, panning, even selecting objects etc) is way slower than turning them completely off.

for instance, having them in box mode, and then pressing H to select objects, is incredebly slower than when having them off.

edit: i think i found the problem, i had them in auto-build mode. when turning it off, all is speedy fine. So probably something about this that could be optimised ?

I've done some tests here with a complex RC object, and it doesn't update with viewport operations. Performance using Quick-mesh and Box mode is very good (+100 fps).

Do you use some kind of 3D Mouse, as 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse ?
I remember a similar case with this device. As far as we can deduce, it was triggering scene rebuilds just modifying the view.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Dragan

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 11:08:26 AM »

Do you use some kind of 3D Mouse, as 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse ?
I remember a similar case with this device. As far as we can deduce, it was triggering scene rebuilds just modifying the view.

I`m using 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator and I have noticed if I press and hold MiddleMouseButton before I start to navigate the camera or perspective viewport (after a lag of a second), everything goes smooth.