Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Window script combining different windowcompositions  (Read 2525 times)

GT4505

• claar.be
Window script combining different windowcompositions
« on: May 18, 2015, 10:00:45 PM »
Hi,

I'm working on a RC composer that can generate a series of windows.
Personally I think it's essential to be able to have different window styles combined within on RC object, depending on the spline matID... or any other way.
As attachment you'll find my first attempt, I hope someone can tweak this so it's fully functional ;)
I think the corners need some tweaking and then it'll work?

Thank you,

Pieter
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:23:07 AM by GT4505 »
Pieter van Stee

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Window script combining different windowcompositions
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 10:51:40 AM »
Hi Pieter,

Congrats on the nice style, looks very useful. I've attached a version for you to take a look at that is only slightly revised. In this version I've used two generators instead of one. Each generator is limited to a particular material ID. You should find this a little easier to manage if you wish to add additional variations.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

GT4505

• claar.be
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 03:07:55 PM »
Hi Paul, thank you for the adjustments.
Now I'm looking for a clean solution for the corners.

Can you advise what's the best/cleanest way to handle those?
At the moment I'm using a L1S, but it's quite "messy" i think...

Thanks

Pieter van Stee

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 08:00:02 PM »
Hi Pieter,

No problem. Please take a look at the attached, I've added your corner segments to the A2S generators by using sequence and compose operators.

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

GT4505

• claar.be
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 02:12:49 PM »
Hi Paul, thank you for the reply.
These adjustments seem to do the trick, thank you!

I'm still working on these kind of generators, therefore I'm wondering if it couldn't be a good feature to be able to use one generated object again as component for the next, without using different rc objects.
Also a crossover between forest and rc could generate a lot of interesting features ;)
I was just experimenting with a facade pattern, here is my post: http://forum.itoosoft.com/index.php?topic=2960.0
Before switching to max I've been working in rhino, with the grasshopper plugin, would be nice to have some of those features in the future ;)!

Thank you
Pieter van Stee

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 03:14:55 PM »
Hi Pieter,

No problem at all, glad I could help out. Thanks for the suggestions, actually the ability to use a generator as an input is in our wishlist but there are a few technical issues we must resolve first. We agree too that crossover between RC and FP could have many useful applications and it is something we are working on.

As for more grasshopper like features,  we feel RailClone is quite a different beast to grasshopper. RailClone is an artist-friendly parametric instancing plug-in with a very high level of abstraction aimed at simplifying the creation of huge amounts of geometry using arrays. Grasshopper is comparatively more complex to learn and use. Where RailClone works with any pre-formed arbitrary geometry, grasshopper generally requires you to create geometry in the style itself. Our intention is to create an incredible time-saver tool to build most of the commonly used elements in architecture and industrial scenes.

That said we are always open to any ideas and suggestions so if there are specific features that you feel would fit well within RailClones approach to parametricism, please let us know :)

Many thanks,

Paul
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:32:45 PM by Paul Roberts »
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

GT4505

• claar.be
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 05:51:11 PM »
Hi Paul,

Great, love to hear that, and I understand the itoo philosophy where usability comes first.
I'm sure I have still some interesting suggestions, but I'll think about them first cause now they're just some idea's here and there.

However one of them is an integrated slicing option within the rc tool like the separate script you provided.
If your goal is simplicity and speed it would be a game changer if you could model your window for ex... then opening the rc tool, clicking the object you'd want (setting the dimensions on the elements), and then the individual segments are automatically added in the rc wire diagram.
Does that sound logic? :p

I just noticed that I'm repeating this process quite often, and that could speed up the process ;)

Regards, Pieter
Pieter van Stee