Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Wire Fence  (Read 1404 times)

eqko

Wire Fence
« on: February 17, 2017, 11:12:30 AM »
what would be the best way to create a fance like attached ? idealy, the height will be adjustable by Y-spline in an Array2s I suppose.
Let's just ignore the handrail fence for now.
I'm looking for the wires & connectors mostly and idealy with an x evenly for the supportposts.
RailClone keeps mystifying me ... (it's awesome, but complex) everytime, I get 'near' what I need but never THERE.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Wire Fence
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 12:21:03 PM »
Hi,

When possible, it's good practice to use Segments of the same size, which makes the style easy to set-up. Attaching a sample scene showing this kind of approach. Hope you'll find it helpful.

Best regards,

eqko

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 12:40:21 PM »
fair enough, but I was trying to keep the distance between wires parametric if you know what I mean ...

so I can change the distance (X/Y evenly?) with a spinner

so I had a knot object and a wire segment but i can't seem to get stuff aligned

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 03:32:08 PM »
Hi,

Please find a possible style set-up using Sequence Operators. Hope you'll find it useful.

Best regards,

eqko

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 03:55:02 PM »
This works perfectly.

That said,
"give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

Could you perhaps sort of explain what's going on ?

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 04:26:06 PM »
Hi,

Sure. If you disconnect the Sequence Operator from the Default slot, it'll be easier to see how it works.

I the X Evenly slot the Sequence Operator is altering the "wireVertical" Segment (which size is defined parametrically by the Numeric Parameter) with the intersection joint Segment.

For the Default slot to align all properly, the size of the joint is measured & divided by to two to get the Translation value on Y axis. Then in a similar way as for X Evenly slot, the Sequence Operator in the Increment on Y mode changes between the "wireHorizontal" Segment and empty Segment (to not have "double line").

Best regards,