Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: parametric bricks  (Read 1403 times)

NP2889

parametric bricks
« on: March 08, 2017, 04:24:59 PM »
Hallo Everyone,

i am searching for a way to position the Bricks of a Wall the way that their z achsis rotation corresponds parametrically to an given input image that i could map below it.   

I know i could do this using a script as parrametric array vrom Torrabi, but it has got several severe drawbacks, especially, that building this way a real big house Would kill each and every computer. 

i only can think of Realclone or of forrestpack to somehow solve this problem.  do you have any ideas ?  how to solve this ?

example image attached...

greetings Tom

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: parametric bricks
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 05:03:25 PM »
Hi,

I would suggest you to use the Forest Pack plug-in for these purposes as it allows you to drive the rotation easily by the Transform - Rotation - Map (in the attached sample scene by a procedural Gradient Ramp map, which can be replaced by your Bitmap map / any map which will suit best your needs). To create the running bond pattern, I've made a copy of the Forest object with adjusted Distribution Map - Offset X & Offset Y values. Attaching a sample scene, hope you'll find it useful.

Best regards,

NP2889

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 05:30:16 PM »
Weeeeelllll...   

i just have to say...   i love you all at itoo...    ;D   as allways,  fast great support..

NP2889

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 06:08:49 PM »
Well the first step is a great advancement..   but now..  i got a secound problem..

When i try to pannel a Wall that has round corners, i cant figure out how to distribute the brics on all sides equaly..  they just get bigger distances and than stop .. 

do you know here also a solution ? 

once again a creenshot of what i have tried..

NP2889

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 06:58:01 PM »
Well i allready found a solution for this on my own, if you switch to the uv settings for distribution.   the real difficulty is at last, that the bricks would have to be translated in a more precise way, because when the get rotated, they would have to change their distance somehow.

and that would be a mathematical challange.

nevertheless, for a good immage it could be enough

thanks