Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Macro for Tiles  (Read 1305 times)

KD4391

Macro for Tiles
« on: October 30, 2021, 01:12:18 AM »
Hi Itoo team

I see that there is a macro for tiles and i was hoping if it could be extended to do something like this:

so if i have a bathroom, lets say its 3mx3mx3m with a door opening and window opening.  If i used the RC Create Boundry to create the splines out of it, is there or could you do a macro where it can create tiles on all the walls?  The current macro only seems to do it on flat surfaces and not walls.  It would be awesome if you could select the spline created by RC Boundry and it creates the tiles and parametrically aligns all the group on all axis.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Macro for Tiles
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 10:22:58 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the question. Since this macro was created we've added some improvements to RailClone that do allow it to be used on multiple closed splines where it can automatically guess the orientation. To adapt the macro, just right click on it and select Macro > Edit. In the macro's graph, select the Generator and change its Auto Align setting to X -> XY. Here's the references to these features in the documentation: docs.itoosoft.com

I hope that helps,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

KD4391

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 05:25:32 AM »
Thanks so much Paul.

Are you able to perhaps provide a simple 3D scene?  I am trying to do 600x600 tiles with 5mm grout lines in a boxed room 3mx3m - if you could provide that to me i can study it in further detail?  I tried to do it but it wasnt generating anything?
sorry for my newbiness

Ive attached the 3d scene i am referring to - i cant get it to work correctly - there is a wall that isnt being done at all.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 05:34:42 AM by KD4391 »

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 11:19:50 AM »
Hi,

In this case, one of the splines wasn't formed correctly. Splines need to be closed and separate for this to work. You can tell by the fact that there's a segment connecting the corners that something is amiss.

Fixing this will help, but you might find other issues with styles like this where the clipping ends up on the wrong wall. This happened for me in this case and it means that RailClone needs a helping hand to understand which splines describe which wall. You can do this by grouping splines together by assigning them to the same material ID. Them to enable this mode in RailClone you just need to change the Hierarchy Checking mode to By Material ID

I've attached a modified version of the file. I've changed the macro a little too so that it centres the tiles on the wall which I think better reflects how they are usually installed in real life.

I hope it helps.
Paul

Paul Roberts
iToo Software

KD4391

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 12:26:06 PM »
thanks so much  - much appreciated.

However, most builders or clietns prefer a WHOLE tile to one side and not 2 half tiles on either side, how can i adjust this?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 03:24:59 PM »
Hi,

Please find attached a revised version. You'll now find a checkbox in the macro that allows you to choose if the tiles are centered or not.

Best,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

KD4391

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 10:57:36 PM »
Thanks so much Paul thats amazing.  I need to buy you a beer.

I have a couple more questions if that is ok.

So in the macro, whats the point of the tile width and max? 

I was hoping this could parametrically change the size of the tiles but i dont think thats possible?  ie 600mm x 300mm either stacked or bond pattern for instance.
Also, at the corners, the geometry intersects at the ends is it possible to have an option to offset that so theres that 5mm grout size gap there too?

« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 11:02:51 PM by KD4391 »

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 11:14:19 AM »
Hi,

The sizes are meant for min and max values to randomise sizes, you'll only see the effects if you enable the Random Start Width and Random Default width parameters.

Attached update now has grout at the start/end.

Cheers,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

KD4391

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 10:25:58 PM »
amazing Paul thanks so much.... it would be amazing if itoo would release these macros and make it more accessible with exported parameters / kinda like how the plugin floor generator works.  The tech is there, it just needs to be transposed to the interface to make it accessible.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 02:49:00 PM »
No problem at all, we have several macros included which we periodically update, in fact this one will be updated with your revisions in the future. Proper presets with exported parameters are included and we hope to start updating them and building up the library soon.
Best,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

KD4391

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2021, 08:42:06 AM »
Thanks Paul - i do think it would take railclone to another level.  Its great that under the hood its crazy powerful, but for everyday folk like myself, we just need the basic presets with simple parameters.  It could truly be a game changer if the macros are built upon and make it easier for people like myself to access and use.