Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: RailClone licensing for my laptop  (Read 2922 times)

mynewcat

RailClone licensing for my laptop
« on: February 02, 2015, 09:42:16 PM »
RailClone and ForestPack really need a way to let me use them on my laptop.

I spend a lot of time away from the office and often need to show clients work on my laptop - right now the licensing system really hamstrings me.

I know you guys are trying to make an awesome product even better and this seems like a small detail - but tools liek this are supposed to make out lives easier, not harder.

As it stands right now I cannot use RailClone or Forest Pack when I am mobile - which is a really annoying drawback.

Why can't your licensing system allow my laptop to contact my server at work and authorise that way? I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to achieve to geniuses such as yourselves.

Cheers

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: RailClone licensing for my laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 09:17:31 AM »
Hi,

Actually, you can use the Network license from any location (so, you can borrow it from the license server to your laptop). Just please note, that the License Server is by default using port 16720 so this should be accessible on the laptop (ideally by using secured VPN connection, but it's not necessary).

On your laptop, please set the network license to the IP of the server rather than finding it automatically. This can be done using the "Change License Mode" wizard after setting Network license mode in Configure the Network License window. Attaching screenshot.

If you'll be unable to borrow the license to your laptop, please check this thread how to test if it's a communication issue.

"Please, try using a TCP scanning tool (as nmap) to test the server port from a workstation. In this way:

nmap -p 16720 <your-server-address>

It should return the following result:

PORT STATE SERVICE
16720/tcp open unknown

Also enable the debug mode in the server, try to use the plugin and send us the licserver.log."

The right network configuration is always very specific for any network as the correct set-up of the connection will depend on all firewall / anti-virus solutions used. Basically, you'll need to open the port 16720 on license sever for the remote user. It must be open both for TCP and UPD (for example Windows Firewall / anti-virus software could be blocking the connection for this port).

Kind regards,