Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Compiled RailClone setups??  (Read 3200 times)

Lars Egerrup / LKE Design

• LKE design website
Compiled RailClone setups??
« on: November 27, 2017, 01:17:31 PM »
Hi there,

I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool with the possibility of compiling (- or something similar) your RailClone setups?
I mean, it's of course cool that we share our setups. Never the less sometimes after having struggled with a complicated setup, it might be nice to be able to sell the setup, and get a little out of you hard work, i without having someone to copy it. I would think that running a compiled setup also might run faster than some with an editing trail?

I believe that the open architecture prevent many for publishing their setups. But I also believe that many were ready to pay for getting a good working setup to solve a design problem.  iToo could even open a shop site where their users could sell their setups - and iToo could earn a percentage of the sale.

Of course we then need to have some kind of licensing option too - otherwise we have only come half way.

OK, it was just a thought. See what you can get out of it

Best, Lars
Lars Egerrup
LKE Design

E: Lars@LKEdesign.dk
W: www.LKEdesign.dk

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Compiled RailClone setups??
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 03:46:57 PM »
Hi, regarding performance really there is not necessary to compile RailClone styles, because the evaluation of nodes is pretty quickly.
Most of processing time is dedicated to other tasks, as the segments construction. Anyway, i will do some tests with huge styles to gather more precise data.

But it would be interesting to allow a password to protect styles from editing... added to the wishlist.

The idea of a site to share (or sell) styles has been proposed other times, but raises several problems.
For example, how to filter the content to avoid garbage, or that each user creates content for different Max versions (we create our libraries in the lowest Max version supported, so it can be used by everyone).

Thanks for your suggestions.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software