Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: cladiing rotation versatile facade  (Read 1111 times)

EM4616

cladiing rotation versatile facade
« on: February 21, 2022, 10:13:00 AM »
Hi,
Has been trying for a long time to achieve decent results in order to produce such a building facade, with the help of Railclone (photos attached)
I do not understand how it is possible to reach a command that rotates the element from its center to the point I will tell it, so that it forms a kind of symmetrical opening and at the same time the element will not rotate at the edges of the front,
I'm sure software like RailClone knows how to do this easily and would rather use it than the MORPHER command
I would love a good and detailed explanation in the file

Thank you !

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: cladiing rotation versatile facade
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 11:20:04 AM »
Hi,

If the rotation in the center of each slat is the same across the whole facade then this is certainly possible in the latest RailClone releases using the Banking feature. I've attached a file to illustrate that uses this features

- A RC spline modifier is added to the X spline with a Banking marker at each end and one in the center. The center one controls to rotation of the slats
- This spline set the size and controls the deformation of a segment wire to an L1S generator used to create a single slat.
- The L1S Generator is nested into an A2S generator to create an entire facade - using another spline for the Y axis.
- To control the start/end of the twisted section, another RCSpline modifier is added to the Y axis. The ID number chooses whether a section is flat or twisted.
- To enable this in the graph, a Selector operator is used with its mode set to Y Spline Marker ID. INto one input we have the nested generator, and the other is just the segment.
- The A2S generator must have Rules > Banking > Modifier set to 0 so that it isn't affected by the banking assigned to the X Spline.

I know you mentioned the Morpher modifier, but actually I think this approach works rather well in combination with RailClone if you need to vary the "openness" of the slats over the facade. I've therefore included a second sample in the same file that uses this technique.

It works as follows:
- It's a simple RailClone setup. Just an A2S generator with the slat segment. I've moved pivot to the top and set the Alignment to use it for the Y axis only
- Y Rotation is exported so that the slats can be easily controlled without openning the graph.
- A morpher modifier is applied to the top of the RailClone object and we capture the state of the model with the slats closed
- Increase the percentage for the captured close state to 100%
- Next add a Volume Select modifier below the Morpher. Set stack selection level to vertex, use whatever volume you like, and tick Selection Method > Invert.
- Enable falloff
- You can no use the RailClone objects exported rotate property to control the openness of the slats.

I hope that helps,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

EM4616

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 08:53:46 AM »
Thank you so much, fantastic, just what I wanted to know. Very detailed.
What about CLIPPING AREA. What is the right way to do it?
If for example, I want to place it on the surface of a roof that is not straight. And in different X, Y, Z
I added pictures
How we apply the banking above the holes ?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 03:44:52 PM »
Hi,

For the versions that uses banking, you would still need to use an X and a Y Spline to set the size. Extend X/Y Size to area mode currently isn't compatible with using markers for the Y Spline. You could still use clipping in addition to the X and Y splines though as the attached sample demonstrates

Here I've used 3 different RC Spline modifiers to set the different types of twist. Each generator can target a specific modifier using the settings found in the Rules tab

You'd then pick from each of those using markers on the Y Spline as before.

Hope it helps,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

EM4616

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 09:04:40 PM »
Thank you !
I understood the principle.
But I can not do this when I need to change the orientation of the X and Y lines! this is not happening !
Not even when the pivot is in local mode >:(
I could not find out what was wrong along the way ...
I would really love this help. I need it. I want to solve it with Railclone.
I have attached a screenshot.
I would love if the files could be in CM Scale   ::)

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 12:59:11 PM »
This is because of the way we're using the nested generators. When the spline isn't in line with the RC object's X-axis then the resultant geometry is rotated in relation to its coordinate system. I think the easiest solution is probably to create it aligned to the world as in my examples, and then select all the splines and the RC object and rotate them together to the desired orientation.

I hope that helps,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

BJ2494

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 04:35:50 PM »
please for 3dsmax 2017

Dragan

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 05:20:05 PM »

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2022, 05:21:14 PM »
Thanks for taking care of that Dragan
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

EM4616

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2022, 06:08:30 PM »
Wow thanks Paul!
It is very difficult to apply it on a surface in a different and varied orientation. I wish it was a lot simpler!
Thanks. Appreciate

I would be happy for more solutions in this regard. If any ;)

EM4616

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 12:25:20 PM »
Paul,
Is there any chance we would see it happening by the next update ?