Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Brick patter problems  (Read 2566 times)

Guillermo Leal

Brick patter problems
« on: July 19, 2015, 02:43:27 AM »
Paul can you take a look at this brick wall, i cant figure out what i'm doing wrong, as you can see on the image the first 6 rows of bricks are correct but then the pattern does not repeat correctly.

any help appreciate it.

Guillermo Leal.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Brick patter problems
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 12:05:21 PM »
Hi Guillermo,

The problem here is that segment counts fulfil the true criteria for more than one conditional statements. For example, row 12 is a multiple of 1,2,3, 4, and 6. Instead of using conditional statements you can use the Sequence operator set to Increment on Y. This will create a repeatable pattern that increments with each row.

I've attached a sample file for you to check out. There's also an adjustable set-up that using an expression to allow you to choose the number of rows over which an entire brick is offset.

I hope that helps, please let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Many thanks,

Paul
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 12:07:05 PM by Paul Roberts »
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Guillermo Leal

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 07:07:33 PM »
thanks Paul, i guess i was over thinking how to do it, you solution is simple and clean.

any reason why you made several versions of the brick and not just one and change the translation on each segment?  that way i can modify that single brick and everything updates.

Guillermo Leal.

Guillermo Leal

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 07:21:21 PM »
Paul,

another question on that same file, there will be holes in the wall. i was going to use splines as clipping planes but that will slice trough the geometry and leave cut bricks or missing ones depending if i choose remove, preserve or slice on the clipping area options. is there a way to cut the bricks but have a face there and not an open brick?

Guillermo Leal.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 10:09:01 AM »
Hi Guillermo,

Glad it helped out. I made several versions of the brick so that the left hand side was straight. There's no reason why you couldn't use a single brick and padding instead, but you will end up with a ragged first column.

I'm afraid at the moment there is no way for RailClone to automatically cap the open holes. The only way to do  this is to apply a capping modifier to the object, but unfortunately this will disable instancing.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Guillermo Leal

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 04:35:09 PM »
thanks,

maybe in the future  :)

Guillermo Leal.