Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Nested Generators problem  (Read 1092 times)

Sergey_Dobrij

Nested Generators problem
« on: September 29, 2021, 11:52:51 AM »
Hello everyone! It's time to learn RC4. I tried to repeat the steps from the lesson and ran into a problem. Tell me, how can I remove the clipping of the geometry? Can I get a scene from this tutorial to study? Thanks!
link to lesson - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-WsXV5hW3A&t=2s

Faced a problem in the second part of the tutorial. The expression does not work (
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 01:01:35 PM by MF3751 »

Sergey_Dobrij

Re: Nested Generators problem
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 01:15:11 PM »
I removed clipping in the transform node, but there is a new problem. My spheres are missing

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 01:51:18 PM »
Hi,

Please try changing the Generator's General>Clipping Area>For No Slice property to preserve. The default setting is Remove which will completely remove any geometry sliced by the clipping spline. Preserve makes sure they are maintained.

I hope that helps,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Sergey_Dobrij

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 02:05:12 PM »
Thanks for the answer! But it didn't quite help. I will attach my scenes, if you have the opportunity, please see them. Thanks!

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 04:04:06 PM »
Please find attached a couple of revisions. In the instance this issue happens because the individual segments in a nested generator are evaluated individually. As a result, some are sliced and some are not. I couldn't find a way to make this work so I've reverted to an older technique that involves embedding one RC object inside another. The important thing here is to turn on Nest for the embedded RC object. This allows it to be re-randomised each time it is used.

You might be interested to know that we've already changed this behaviour and it should be available in the next beta release.

In the second example, there was a small detail missing from the expression. When you are nesting generators you need to add the name of the generator before the property, separated by a full stop.

I hope that helps,
Paul
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 04:28:46 PM by Paul Roberts »
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Sergey_Dobrij

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 04:33:33 PM »
Thank you very much. I will check more and more carefully!

Sergey_Dobrij

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 04:49:48 PM »
Please find attached a couple of revisions. In the instance this issue happens because the individual segments in a nested generator are evaluated individually. As a result, some are sliced and some are not. I couldn't find a way to make this work so I've reverted to an older technique that involves embedding one RC object inside another. The important thing here is to turn on Nest for the embedded RC object. This allows it to be re-randomised each time it is used.

You might be interested to know that we've already changed this behaviour and it should be available in the next beta release.

In the second example, there was a small detail missing from the expression. When you are nesting generators you need to add the name of the generator before the property, separated by a full stop.

I hope that helps,
Paul

Now I have new problems. I opened your scenes and saw that the geometry in the second scene is broken (. What could be the problem?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 04:59:04 PM »
That happens because Max's Helix object uses linear spline segments rather than curves. You can fix it by changing Bevel Mode to None in the generator so that segments aren't sliced. You could also turn off Bend and Slice for the segments to make the style more efficient.

When I'm using a Helix I often add a Normalise Spline modifier to turn it into a curved path too.

Modified file attached.

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Sergey_Dobrij

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 05:03:12 PM »
That happens because Max's Helix object uses linear spline segments rather than curves. You can fix it by changing Bevel Mode to None in the generator so that segments aren't sliced. You could also turn off Bend and Slice for the segments to make the style more efficient.

When I'm using a Helix I often add a Normalise Spline modifier to turn it into a curved path too.

Modified file attached.

Paul
Thank you! Best regards to your team from Russia!

Sergey_Dobrij

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 05:31:34 PM »

Modified file attached.

Paul
Please tell me, I correctly indicated here Mode - Adaptive?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 06:16:15 PM »
In this case I would suggest Adaptive so that it fits nicely along the spline with no slicing.
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Sergey_Dobrij

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 06:44:17 PM »
1. Please tell me how can I implement the option as in the picture? I understand that we need some kind of multiplier for the general form, but I don’t know how to implement it.
2. How can I animate the propagation of the chandelier along the spline path? Roughly speaking, so that it grows up. Thanks!

Sergey_Dobrij

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2021, 08:02:01 PM »
1. Please tell me how can I implement the option as in the picture? I understand that we need some kind of multiplier for the general form, but I don’t know how to implement it.
2. How can I animate the propagation of the chandelier along the spline path? Roughly speaking, so that it grows up. Thanks!
as I understand it, I need to get the start of the spline and make a multiplier for this parameter)

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2021, 10:12:55 AM »
HI,

I'm guessing based on your other post that you have found the solution to this issue (using the Start and Length properties is what I would have suggested). If I can help further though, please let me know.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Sergey_Dobrij

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2021, 06:45:11 PM »
HI,

I'm guessing based on your other post that you have found the solution to this issue (using the Start and Length properties is what I would have suggested). If I can help further though, please let me know.

Thanks,
Paul
Thanks! The chandelier is animated and rendered)