Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Metal Fence on curve issue  (Read 3653 times)

IT1371

Metal Fence on curve issue
« on: September 12, 2014, 08:44:27 AM »
Hello,

I have noticed that many railclone objects, especially Metal Fences behave strange on curves.
For example in the image attached, you can see that the posts are fine, but the top rail is detached.
I solved it by adding more vertexes to the spline, but its just a workaround and they are still separated.

I use AutoCAD architecture 2014. Sometimes railclone does have a weird  behavior with ACA objects and splines.
But I don't see how is it connected.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Metal Fence on curve issue
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 10:42:55 AM »
Hi,

Sorry to hear you're having an issue. This is being caused because the top rail cannot bend to follow the base spline. In your screen grab I can see there are no edges loops running around the top rail, so it cannot deform and travels between the posts in a straight line, even though the spline is curved. The uprights on the other hand are separate and are able to follow the curvature of the spline. To resolve this you can extract the top or bottom rail segments and add some extra edges so that the rail can bend to follow the spline.

I hope that helps.

Many thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

IT1371

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 11:04:42 AM »
Then its possible to make these models similar to the Glass Balcony, Metal Base modules. Then that top part will bend along the spline.
It may add extra polygons and vertexes, but its work it imo.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 04:23:19 PM »
Absolutely, they were originally made to be used on straight sections but they could easily be adapted for use with curves.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software